• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer Artwork

Harry182

I'm sure every one here has been through this or similar so just asking how you deal with it or how you stear the conversation...

I have a new customer who's asking for their logo to be re designed. How ever from the way she's talking, I just don't get the impression there's going to be any work from it, or if she even intends to pay to have something designed up and thinks I just do it for fun.

So how do you guys deal with them? Any advice?

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
The way I have handled this is to have a design consultation with them with what they think they want and what our ideas are before any actual work begins, and not with them sitting with the designer in front of the computer. Then based on that conversation, we come up with a graphic design estimate. If they are a new customer, they have to pay 75% up front for the amount of the estimate, and once we hit that 75% amount in billable time, we will reconvene with them and let them know if the remaining billable hours we think it will take will go over the estimated amount. They have to pay in full before we release any final files that they can use on either our products or for print/web/imprintables/etc. I've been burned too many times over the years.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
If the logo redesign is part of a larger package of signs that will use the new work, figure out how long it's going to take ( and keep in mind the number of revisions you're likely to have to do) and spread the costs over the various items in the job, with maybe a small line item for providing them with a PDF/EPS/JPG/TIFF of the artwork that they can use down the road.
Or, if this is just design work- $XXX per hour for artwork, minimum of XXX hours billed in half hour increments after the minimum. PDF/EPS/JPG/TIFF provided upon receipt of final payment for time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You never do anything on an assumption/impression. You need to iron out all of the elements involved. Price/cost to do what she is requesting, how will it be used and what other work will be accompanying this project. Once you give her a quote for what it will cost, then she can either go away and pest someone else, or slap a fat deposit on your desk.

rossmosh

Send her a price quote before doing the work. Problem solved.

Compensation should be at minimum 50% up front and 50% upon approval. All proofs should be watermarked and provided in low resolution/quality. When approved, you should release a packet of bitmap and vector images that are free for their use.

AKwrapguy

Sure we can help you with that. It's $100 an hour and I need a CC on file so that we can begin the process..... This usually lets them know that it will cost them money and you can negotiate from there.

BingoBrewster

Too many people think if they don't use a design, they don't have to pay for it. Certainly ask for a non-refundable deposit, before you even start work.

Nice thread, this also happens to me occasionally. Is there a resource or if anyone can share a sample contract form that i can have my customer sign as an agreement for making logo or redesigning a logo. As some would argue that is not what they want and they will not pay for it. Thanks

OldPaint

well, those of us who can draw, love it when someone brings a logo/design of theirs to us. this is what we do.......we take the CRAP they came up with, and put our art ability to work making it 100% better within the same theme..........they had.
now WE SHOW THEM WHAT THEY COULD HAVE............. BUT NEVER, NEVER GIVE THEM ANY OF THE ARTWORK...... until they have PAID FOR SIGN/LOGO/DESIGN.
IF they want a copy of it to take .........then they are asked to pay for it..........other then that, the design never leaves here.

qmr55

well, those of us who can draw, love it when someone brings a logo/design of theirs to us. this is what we do.......we take the CRAP they came up with, and put our art ability to work making it 100% better within the same theme..........they had.
now WE SHOW THEM WHAT THEY COULD HAVE............. BUT NEVER, NEVER GIVE THEM ANY OF THE ARTWORK...... until they have PAID FOR SIGN/LOGO/DESIGN.
IF they want a copy of it to take .........then they are asked to pay for it..........other then that, the design never leaves here.

Haha those of us who like to make money don't do this, but I'm glad you can draw. :p

HulkSmash

LOL. This is the worse business advice i've ever seen. Some of us have 1500$ a day overhead and cannot do this.

OldPaint

well......9-10 times i did this and GOT THE JOB & GOT PAID WELL enough to cover those $1500 costs)))))
when you PROVE you can provide......deal is done.
i probably have more designs on napkins.......and thrown them away...........because i didnt need them after i got told " YEA, EXACTLY WHAT I WANT, DO IT."

Last edited:

Johnny Best

Yep, found in OldPaint's trash
trash_0001.jpg

OldPaint

wow.....at least you try........but still such immature work you do))) that looks like somethin i woulda done at age 5)))))NO........COME TO THINK ABOUT...AT 6 i was doing art work on 5th 6th grade levels. i was drawing perspective views like this at 6

Attachments

• perspectivebox.jpg
    perspectivebox.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

OldPaint

for your enjoyment........my ESHER-ISH painting))))) i am also a potter......

Attachments

• COREL 085s.jpg
    COREL 085s.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 245
  • pottery 083.jpg
    pottery 083.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 258

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Old Paint..... I seen better looking legs on a pool table.

Now don't you and Johnny Best make me come in there and break you two up !! Fight nicely !! :noway: