• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

customer did not spell check his proof

mark galoob

so i set up a small printing for a customer and i always advise my customers to proof and spell check, because once they tell me to print, i print...

well this guy did not spell check he just looked at the overall image. he did proof and asked for changes on the first proof, which i did, then sent him the proof to approve, then he said ok to print...then i printed...he brought it back today and there are a few misspellings...he is blaming me and wants me to reprint at my expense...i always reprint at 50% of cost...

im just curious what everyone else would do in this situation...

mark galoob

Flame

I offer at 50% as well. If it's something just really dumb, like misspelling "dog" 3 times, ehhhh, you should've probably known that. But mistakes DO happen, and if your customer understood it's his job to proofread, I'd stick to your guns.

I rarely do printing, so I don't have this problem. I realize a typo in a 10-page booklet is different than for a sign. But, on signs or simple printed products like business cards or postcards:

1. If it were a word or name I should have spelled correctly, I'd take full responsibility. I feel it is my responsibility as a professional to correct all grammatical and spelling errors made by the customer on work orders, etc.

2. If it were a difficult-to-spell or unusual name and the customer spelled it incorrectly on info he gave me, then he takes full responsibility.

If there is any chance at all that a name or place could have an alternate or unusual spelling, I always make the customer give me the correct spelling.

MikePro

i usually get emails verifying spell checks and final approvals from clients... so that when something like that happens, then its documented as their fault and I can offer a reprint at minimal cost, just to make them happy. (its usually a mispelling of a donor name or some random address/phone number, as I usually pickup on and verify words and company names on my own)

got no hard evidence to prove it was their fault... suck it up and make it for free, because if they want to stink enough about it, they will and you'll be on the hook for it with a bad rep. to boot.

Craig Sjoquist

I redo simple ... WHY .. they are paying me to do a service that is advertising signage and spelling is part of it.
I tell them to proof read cause I'm a poor speller but so are many of my customers.

My worst cost me $800 on 2 back lighted signs and I proof read alot more now since, have a big thick dictionary for that purpose.

AUTO-FX

Unfortunately in today's society, when people pay for something, they think all responsibility is automatically transferred to the payee.

GypsyGraphics

so i set up a small printing for a customer and i always advise my customers to proof and spell check, because once they tell me to print, i print...

well this guy did not spell check he just looked at the overall image. he did proof and asked for changes on the first proof, which i did, then sent him the proof to approve, then he said ok to print...then i printed...he brought it back today and there are a few misspellings...he is blaming me and wants me to reprint at my expense...i always reprint at 50% of cost...

im just curious what everyone else would do in this situation...

mark galoob

did he "say" ok to print or sign-off on it? big big difference.

same error rate 50%

nothing EVER goes to print without this baby

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sign-Off.jpg
    Sign-Off.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 147

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I do stone work, and I require the customer to sign off on an artwork approval sheet like GG's. The sheet includes a rendering of the work to be done, so there's absolutely no question as to what they are responsible for.

GypsyGraphics

How do you spell safety, GG?

:tongue:

exactly my point NEVER TRUST YOUR DYSLEXIC DESIGNER!!!
:ROFLMAO: :doh:

phew... just pulled out the printed piece... it's correct on the brochure!

i have to admit... i've had clients mark the box "Ok to Print, with noted corrections"
and the correction was on my sign-off sheet :tongue:
but this public safety brochure wasn't one of them, hehe

Sideshow

I email verify, and once told to print, any mistakes is on them.

I had a guy send me the artwork psd, had one of his own layers reversed, and after adding my layers and getting the thumbs up to print, tried to go after me the same way.

He even tried to do a paypal dispute, but once the email he replyed to "print" was forwarded to paypal, it was resolved and HE was out.

Mosh

I once printed 200 shirts that said "where every hours is happy hour" At first they were pissed, but they sold like hot cakes, cause the drunks said it that way anyway! In fact they ordered more and had me keep it that way.

CheapVehicleWrap

I email verify, and once told to print, any mistakes is on them.

I had a guy send me the artwork psd, had one of his own layers reversed, and after adding my layers and getting the thumbs up to print, tried to go after me the same way.

He even tried to do a paypal dispute, but once the email he replyed to "print" was forwarded to paypal, it was resolved and HE was out.

Nice to see you lucked out with paypal. Currently ebay (who only accepts paypal now, wonder why) considers the customer always to be right.

W

wetgravy

Seems like when I go to work for someone else, I have a predecessor that didn't care about his job the month or two prior to quitting or getting fired and .... In my current shop, the first month and a half ... almost every other job I did was a fix of something that this dink created. Mostly small stuff (wrong VIN #, wrinkled vinyl, crooked vinyl, etc) ... but we corrected his mistakes at our cost ... sucked ... but what do we say to that? A lot of my customers get peeved that I make them do a visual inspection of their job and give me their OK before I cut ... but in the last 6 months I've had 2 things I've had to fix. One customer gave me the wrong number (written wrong on his sheet, mine and my screen), and another had a chalky paint job and even though I cleaned it thoroughly ... he drove it through the rain at 70 mph an hour after I applied so 2 numbers drifted. I charged for the wrong # which he was happy with doing so (even tipped me), and the 2 drifted numbers I just recut from a piece of scrap.