• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Customer is asking for specific paint before installing wall material

bigben

I do lot of phototex install. I always test the paint/wall before doing my installation. I tell customer tu use low VOC paint and/or cheap contractor paint. So now I've got this customer that want me do give him a specific brand and model of paint. Since I'm there, I would like to get the best paint possible for my application that I could suggest to any customers.

Please think it as to be available in Canada and easy for anyone to get.

thanks. Ben

CanuckSigns

Sherwin williams has a product line called ProClassic that doesn't have any of the additional ingredients that cause vinyl to fail.

bigben

Sherwin williams has a product line called ProClassic that doesn't have any of the additional ingredients that cause vinyl to fail.

Great, thanks for the information. How did you find the informations for this? I would like to know specifically what I should look for in the specification/ingredient if a customer want to use his specific brand.

CanuckSigns

Great, thanks for the information. How did you find the informations for this? I would like to know specifically what I should look for in the specification/ingredient if a customer want to use his specific brand.

Basically avoid any paints that mention "easy clean" or "scrubbable" in the description as that means they have either silicone or teflon in them to help stop stains from sticking, this also stops vinyl from sticking
also paints labeled as zero or low VOC you want to try to avoid as the composition of the paint also causes issues with vinyl adhering.

If you go to any proper paint store ( Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, Dulux) they all sell contractor grade paint, which is a meduim grade paint with none of the extras added to it (Sherwin Williams calls it their "Pro-Mar" series)

skyhigh

I tell customer tu use low VOC paint and/or cheap contractor paint. So now I've got this customer that want me do give him a specific brand and model of paint.

Do you really give them these vague specifications, but don't know what to use yourself? Did someone along the line tell you cheap contractors paint" , and that is the only info you pass along to your customer?

rossmosh

My recommendation is to find a paint from the main 3-4 paint suppliers available in your area. For not a lot of money (especially if you buy "oops paint") you can do a little test on some drywall to figure out what will work. That way you can let everyone know what works and what doesn't.

I'll be honest, it does bother me the vinyl companies don't do this. All the vinyl companies should have a list of paints they've tested that work well with their products. It just seems like a common sense approach.