• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer Service

OlsonSigns601

On a unrelated thread, someone not saying names said they answer the phone when they can.

Well, last night we got a call and we took over an account another sign shop used to have that is about an hour away had.

Current Job will cover this months bills and has the potential to become a regular job for us. Hoping for the best, maybe a new printer or new staff, but just wanted to throw out another example of why you need to answer your phone and ditch the answering machine during business hour.

I can tell you this much... if we didn't answer that phone it would just be a blurb on caller ID to us. Job was referred to us from a local business who also has many sign vendors to choose from.

With that said, I'll be here until about 3am now. But Woo Hoo!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A little while ago I got a phone call and I played hard to get and didn't answer it. The suspense was utterly overwhelming. :covereyes: I started to get chills listening to the phone in my sweaty hand ringing and doing nothing about it. What a feeling of power I had. When it stopped ringing, I then looked at the caller ID.

:omg2: it was my wife.​

So, I did it again, just a little bit ago. Let it ring and ring and ringalingling. Had that same feeling of power and superiority over that phone and the person on the other end. Afterwards, I looked at the ID again.... this time it was a customer that had a check for me. Message said.... since I wasn't in, they'd drop it off Monday.

Called him back and told him the compressor was running and I didn't see the light or hear the phone. Luckily, he doesn't have that same policy of not answering his phone and is going to divert his direction and bring the check right over. I like checks and I like receiving them... especially when they're big like this one. :cool1:

Think I'm gonna give up this not answering the phone bullsh!t and go back to business as usual.

HulkSmash

I agree. Answering your phone is key. There's a reason why we're in business and the people who don't answer their phone are not.

Pat Whatley

This one time, I didn't answer the phone and lost a sale. That customer went to another local shop, ordered $1500 in banners, got them to bill him, then never paid them. Another time, I did answer the phone late one Friday. Customer offered to let me letter his racecar for free in exchange for him telling everyone where he had it done.

There's a member here I've called about 1000 times over the last 10 years. He's probably answered the phone 10 of those times. He seems to be doing okay.

rjssigns

Answered the phone July 3rd late afternoon. One of our regulars needed banners for 7a.m. on the 4th. I said I would have them that evening. Nice payday to start the 4th of July.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
He just left.... Good Lord and Sweet Jesus...... I'm gonna buy two extra 1/2's of Bushmills.

We gonna have sum fun tonite, yeah, we're gonna have some fun tonite.............. :toasting:

rjssigns

Do any of you feel compelled to answer the phone 7 days a week and various weird hours? I am asking out of curiosity as one of my clients had a new take. I went to get paid and noticed Jack had a new cell phone and wi-fi hotspot on the desk. Said he was going camping. I said WTF? He said he can't relax without knowing where his employees are, what they are doing and if a there are clients with questions.

Thoughts, opinions?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
After I go home on Friday, the phones stop.... or I just stop answering. Business is business and conducted during normal business hours. We're not a department store or located in a mall, so we stop around 6 on a Friday. Very few customers have my home phone, so if they call, I'll probably answer cause it's probably an emergency.... and like I said, we are about service. Even less people have my cell phone, so those I will answer, if I hear it.

My time is my time and it's much easier to separate business from home when you're not home-based. Another good reason not to have it at home.

Anyway, if I go on vacation, I will call in once a day, in case of emergencies, but no customer has ever called me while I'm on vacation.... but then again, I only have my cell phone with me for a few minutes.... then it's off to something fun.

OlsonSigns601

Do any of you feel compelled to answer the phone 7 days a week and various weird hours? I am asking out of curiosity as one of my clients had a new take. I went to get paid and noticed Jack had a new cell phone and wi-fi hotspot on the desk. Said he was going camping. I said WTF? He said he can't relax without knowing where his employees are, what they are doing and if a there are clients with questions.

Thoughts, opinions?

I would rather take the information personally than piece though it on voicemail hoping they even leave a message.

I'm looking to record all messages for quality purposes, but as of right now I just record audio in the lobby and I can see all employees and access their computers no matter where I am. I travel A LOT though.

Perks

At Software Companies the customer support staff are measured by the number of cases they can close. No more than 10 minutes on the horn with a customer, send them an 'article' from the company's problem solving library and move on. It todays equivalent of a sweat shop.

Customer Service needs to be at the beck and call when your trying to live up to the expectations of your customers.

When the Smeckon Beckons!

CheapVehicleWrap

I called thegrs 2 weeks ago for a major service. all 5 phone lines didn't work. send an email on that sunday. Got a call back next day on monday promising a return call from a tech. never happened.

visual800

I hardly answer unless im sitting right next to it. My phones go off at 5 and on weekends. if you need something then not my problem. I used to entertain calls all damn night and all weekends back in the day, I loved it....I do not love it anymore. I have hours I am open and thats that. If they cant leave a simple message than they must want something too quick for me to do