• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer Supplied Substrate Question (plastic)

Jillbeans

I have to apply translucent vinyl to two sheets of substrate a customer got at Laird Plastics.
I dunno what it is exactly. It's white plastic but whether it is polycarb, Lexan, acrylic or whatever is not obvious.
It's masked with a tan masking that reads TG MASKING by PLASTIKOTE.
My question is:
Does it have a "good" side or are both sides OK?
Also, do I let it outgas after unmasking?
:thankyou:
Love....Jill

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Tap on it with your finger. If it sounds "metallic", it's polycarbonate (Lexan). If it sounds "dull", it's acrylic.

Both sides are fine to use. It doesn't have to outgas.

Jillbeans

Hmmm. It sounds neither! Just glad that either side is OK to use. Thanks.
The masking is the same on both sides.
I loathe this type of sign.
Customer bought a used sign from CL and wanted me to strip the faces...I sent him to Laird Plastics.

DSC

Sounds like acrylic with the tan mask .. I would be safe and let it "outgas".. I personally have never had issues with applying right away, but might as well be safe.. Polycarb usually has a clear mask on it .. would come to you rolled up if the length is long enough .. both sides are ok if it is acrylic..

Jillbeans

Thanks again. I do remember the last time I got polycarb that it was rolled up.
And the acrylic I bought had a brown masking that was delightful to remove.
I'll unmask these today and cut the vinyl tomorrow.

Jillbeans

Luckily this seems pretty fresh.
I go from the "high" of just having a customer tickled pink to pick up a hand painted sign to now dealing with plastic fantastic.

John in Cali

Removing the brown mask is a joy, especially when it gets old.
I find a cardboard tube about the same width as the acrylic, peel up a few inches of mask from the edge of the plastic, wrap it around the tube, and roll the mask off in one piece.

m giese

Given the masking has TG on it, i am going to weigh in on PETG, which laird does carry. Have you considered calling laird and finding out what your customer purchased?

Jillbeans

I unmasked 'em. Easy as pie, masking was some weird tan plastic stuff.
Will cut-n-stick tomorrow.
I could call, but I have to go to my "real" job now.
Thanks again!