• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer supplied vectors not coming into Corel properly

peavey123

HI All, Anyone know why the odd time we will get a vector file (I'm assuming created in illustrator) that when opened in Corel it's wrong (has an almost distressed look). But if I open the file in illustrator it's fine?

I noticed this in customer supplied EPS files.

Note, I do not handle the files. I'm basically asking on behalf of our engraver person. They only have corel on their computers.

WildWestDesigns

If I remember correctly, there used to be trick of opening the file in notepad and should be able to parse out what program exported the file. At least that would give confirmation.

I will say, I never had much luck importing/opening/placing or any derivation there of, an EPS (or worse yet, their own native proprietary file) exported from one program and then viewed in a competitor's program. Especially if the file exported was a newer EPS version then what the competitor's program could render effectively.

I have actually had far better luck of getting betting file viewing from Evince Reader then trying to mess with opening an EPS exporting from DRAW (I only use Ai) and then save from there to what I can use. I use Evince Reader on Linux, but I do believe that they have a Windows version as well. To my knowledge, no Mac version. Might be able to compile one, but I don't know of a binary for Mac out there already.

d fleming

Pen outlines, wrong import filters, illybugers, any number of things. For those odd files you need to either figure out the best way to import or bring it into illy and figure the best way to export for your version of corel.

Asuma01

If I get an .ai file that wont import into corel I'll open it in illustrator and save it as an older version and be sure to disable file compression. It doesnt work 100% of the time. but it works often enough.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
I have asked a customer or three to resend me the files they want to use as a PDF, if they have nothing else to work with. Import to Corel, then Export as EPS file.
Maybe you could even export the existing file to a PDF?

Tony Rome

I have used Corel for over 15 years and it is absolutely pathetic how many compatibility issues I have.
I attended a class on Corel way back and know how to use it and not very good with AI, but damn if everything doesn't open without a hitch in AI.
It is ridiculous that I have to open EPS and PDF in AI just to save them so I can edit in Corel.
Yes, I am half the problem I should just learn AI, but I am old and I like Corel and IT SHOULD WORK!

Sandman

Corel has never played well with others and probably never will. I treat Corel files like the plague. I avoid them at all costs.

fresh

I don't think anyone has ever had a problem opening an eps or pdf made by me, in corel. The same is not true with PDFs that were generated by Illustrator.

Right now, I'm dealing with a file that had clipping masks and symbols, and all sorts of illustrator jazz. Its so annoying.

WildWestDesigns

Corel has never played well with others and probably never will.

To be honest, should we really expect one closed source program to play nicely even with the most recent version of files saved/exported from a competing closed source program?

While some things can be mitigated if the original creator of the file did some things, but I really can't bring myself to say that all closed source software vendors should be able to read all of the files from other closed source vendors.

Now, granted, I have used open source programs that view EPS files (even with what Ai would spit out a font error and such) and yet Ai/DRAW would send out error msgs. So I dunno on that one. If open source can have a better track record who knows.

NamPhantasm

First World Problems = Corel :(

You can't go wrong with Adobe Products :)

Adobe is so affordable now on subscription. I use to have the same problem when I was using Illustrator 7, and none of the files anyone sent me work, so I just got tired of dealing with the files not working correctly, then eventually switched to cloud subscription. You will make more than what it cost to pay each month, so it's worth the time savings too. :)

shoresigns

To be honest, should we really expect one closed source program to play nicely even with the most recent version of files saved/exported from a competing closed source program?

Yes, we should be able to expect to be able to reliably transfer files between applications. That's what standards are for, and EPS/PDF are both standardized formats. The problem arises when some developers don't follow the standards, which is why I tend to stick with Adobe software, since they're the ones who developed the standards in the first place.

WildWestDesigns

Yes, we should be able to expect to be able to reliably transfer files between applications. That's what standards are for, and EPS/PDF are both standardized formats. The problem arises when some developers don't follow the standards, which is why I tend to stick with Adobe software, since they're the ones who developed the standards in the first place.

That's actually a problem with closed source in general. They can't or won't follow standards, because they can't implement processes (or effects) the same way between programs. Or be able to implement ways to render how the other program will export those "standard" files. When they try to, they are having to retro fit it into the latest release, which won't be on parity with the latest release of the competitor's software. Or they are trying to avoid parity completely in order for market place advantage.

I have zero problem reading EPS files in Evince Reader, even though taking those same files and Ai will spit back errors or not render the same way (and I usually have a jpg file to confirm, so I know which program is rendering correctly). Bare in mind, Evince is just a reader, it isn't also try to open that file for manipulation, which is where the issues can come about, it's trying to do too much, but maybe Evince rasterizes it when it opens it. That could be a possibility, I haven't actually investigated it too much. Although, it doesn't matter to me if it does or doesn't rasterize it as I do the exact same thing to the file regardless if it's a vector or raster file. Just so long as I'm able to view it is the key thing.

Then, of course, you have some users that don't handle things on their end. I remember when gradients on strokes was available on newer programs, but people were still on the old. If the content creator didn't outline the stroke, it wouldn't render correctly to the next person. Have custom brushes (I do)? Same problem as the gradient on strokes, even more so, because that is still an issue no matter what version one has, at least with gradients on strokes would be handled in future releases. So some issues could be that there are effects being used on newer software versions that the competitor product isn't able to handle, yet anyway.

Then of course, if they exported to low of an EPS some effects were lost as well.

So it's double edge problem of developers and users in my mind.

ams

I have used Corel for over 15 years and it is absolutely pathetic how many compatibility issues I have.
I attended a class on Corel way back and know how to use it and not very good with AI, but damn if everything doesn't open without a hitch in AI.
It is ridiculous that I have to open EPS and PDF in AI just to save them so I can edit in Corel.
Yes, I am half the problem I should just learn AI, but I am old and I like Corel and IT SHOULD WORK!

Don't blame Corel for the issues.

Last edited:

neato

haha. anytime we see a corel file its from south america. lol.
hahahhaha....south america....hahahahaha....
Wait, why's that funny?

In all seriousness, the jagged imports are usually from newer versions of AI. I think you can still get Illlustrator CS2 for free from Adobe. I have it just for opening files like this. Usually even files from newer versions of Illustrator can be imported fine into CS2. Then just save as a PDF or .AI version CS2 and you should be fine.

It is annoying, but graphic designers should be providing PDFs, not ai files. PDFs are more universal.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Both CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator have serious limitations with importing artwork from their rival applications. Neither plays nicely with the other. I've been dealing with this particular issue, along with plenty of other artwork export-import issues, for over 20 years. The only real sure-fire way to get Illustrator or CorelDRAW artwork in to your work flow accurately and reliably is to have both applications running on your computer system. It costs a little more, but it solves a LOT of headaches.

Even when you have both CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator at your disposal steps must be taken with prepping artwork to trade between either application. Some things don't transfer back and forth. When you know the unique strengths & weaknesses of CorelDRAW and Illustrator, as well as unique features either app has which are not supported in the rival application, it becomes a little easier moving artwork between either application.

Customers or other third parties supplying art files often do not know (or even care) about any of that stuff because they're used to working exclusively only in one of these programs. It's hard enough just getting them to do something basic, like converting fonts to outlines (a certain trick with importing PDFs into Illustrator solves that font substitution problem, but the customer must supply a PDF that's not garbage).

I have other design-related reasons for running both CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator. But being able to better handle customer supplied artwork is a big plus.