• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut line in illustrator for VersaWorks

showcase 66

I sent off a design to a printer I have used in the past. Made sure that they knew it needed to have a contour cut. They asked me to have a contour line on in a separate layer for them to use.

I received the decals today and there is no contour cut around the design. When I sent the artwork, they said everything looks fine and will have them out quickly.

Now they say there was no cut line. I am not familiar with creating cutlines for printed material. Usually larger pieces don't need them for what I usually do. They wanted the file in PDF form which I sent. When I open the pdf file in illustrator, the cut line layer is there and I can click on it.

Attached is the file. Not sure if someone can open it and see if it works. I can send the file via email if you need it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Zoo Crew Decal final.pdf
    890.7 KB · Views: 184

mpn

For what it's worth, the cutline is there but not visible or spec'd out color wise.

mpn

I use cmyk cyan and label it as CutContour

Attachments

• Zoo Crew Decal final.pdf
    905 KB · Views: 179
I sent off a design to a printer I have used in the past. Made sure that they knew it needed to have a contour cut. They asked me to have a contour line on in a separate layer for them to use.

I received the decals today and there is no contour cut around the design. When I sent the artwork, they said everything looks fine and will have them out quickly.

Now they say there was no cut line. I am not familiar with creating cutlines for printed material. Usually larger pieces don't need them for what I usually do. They wanted the file in PDF form which I sent. When I open the pdf file in illustrator, the cut line layer is there and I can click on it.

Attached is the file. Not sure if someone can open it and see if it works. I can send the file via email if you need it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Agree with the prior poster. The path is there on it's own layer, but it is not visible.

Also, it does not have the color properties needed to make it a cut path, typically this is a spot color designation with a reserved name. Often times the name CutContour is used by several RIPs by default.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

The fact that you told them it was there (which it is) they should have noticed it and made the necessary edit. I have sent out files to customers and some ask for it on a separate layer, named or colored a certain way or not at all. Not your fault. My guess is they made a mistake but at least they offered to do it again

rjssigns

We use the Roland CutContour swatch. You can download it and add it to a palette or have it by itself in Ai. Roland set it up to work perfectly with VW.

showcase 66

I think I got it all figured out. They still swear it is not on there. The file I uploaded on here was the file they sent back to me saying it wasn't.

They are supposed to get them done and have it back to me soon. Hopefully before they are needed (Thursday).

This is one reason I need to get a printer.

Thanks again for all the help.