Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cut Vinyl graphics not sticking to customer's wall!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by DPkleonard, Dec 12, 2016.

1. DPkleonard

DPkleonard New Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    We installed vinyl graphics to a wall on Friday - just got a call that they are curling up.
    The graphics were printed to Avery 2903, let it sit for 2 days, then cut, then masked, then applied to the wall. The wall has a gloss finish - was told it was a high grade paint. Trying to get more info on the paint...
    Any ideas??? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    you need to find out if the paint is "Scrubbable" or some similar term, which means vinyl won't likke it

3. DPkleonard

DPkleonard New Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    "Scrubbable"? Like you can wipe it down?

4. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    this is an ongoing issue with wall applications, it basically comes down the amount of VOC in the paint

Wall Graphic adhesion issue

5. Chasez

Chasez Member

Jan 6, 2014
    canada
    3M has a wall test kit. Has saved us tons of time/material and the embarrassment of vinyl falling off walls because of all these new additives paint manufacturers are adding to make them "easy to clean".

Archive Ask the Expert: How Do I Choose the Right Film for My Wall? : 3M Graphic Solutions Products US

I would check it out and get one for yourself. I think it was around $150 CAD but do a couple tests and it will pay for itself. You can even add your own test strips (of common materials that you use in house).

Chaz

6. Antnee

Antnee Member

Apr 6, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Try adding some heat with a heat gun.

7. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

Currently, we always hand over samples to our customers who want wall graphics to test for adhesion first, or we take a sample to the job site and test it ourselves. We run 6" x 4" samples of everything in our shop and even a few things that we outsource.

8. klingsdesigns

klingsdesigns Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Did you make sure you prepped the wall good before installing? We have run into customers not doing that and having issues.

9. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Probably PTFE (Teflon) in the paint... we always give the client a small piece of test material to stick in the corner of the room and leave for a week or so to see if it will adhere properly.

10. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
  11. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    If we are installing wall graphics we also try and do an adhesion test.
    Once bitten twice shy.

12. WrapYourCar

WrapYourCar Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yep you need to test the wall.. there is a spray can you can buy which treats the wall surface and dries within 20 mins.. if you cover the edges well and zigzag through the middle it should stop curling. Is the wall textured?

13. DKgrafix

DKgrafix Very Active Member

Was the wall freshly painted?
    Maybe it's still outgassing and that will definitely cause decal to curl and fall off.

14. DPkleonard

DPkleonard New Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Turns out the paint was Zero VOC. I see where you can clean the wall with alcohol/water, but I'm concerned about it showing...it's cut vinyl, not a full wrap.
    Is there a way to do it? Or does the customer need to repaint?

15. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

What is this spray that you speak of?

16. DPkleonard

DPkleonard New Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Also...does the spray leave a mark? We're doing cut vinyl - not a mural.

17. DPkleonard

DPkleonard New Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Also, does the spray leave a mark? We're doing cut vinyl lettering...not a mural.

18. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I'm too interested in your spray. Can you give more details?

19. I had a similar problem, a full 6 meter x 3 meter wall mural ended up in a pile on the floor. Turns out he paint was an anti graffiti paint. (it was not supposed to be when the project was discussed).

Anyway I got round it by preparing the wall with a mix of PVA (wood glue) and water mixed together. 1 part PVA to 4 parts water. Then paint on with a brush and let it dry. It has a very slight tac to it once dry. Then put up the print and all has been fine, no problems with the wall in the past 10 months.

20. Msrae

Msrae Rae

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    How hard do you think removal would be later with this? I had a flat painted door with the same "non-adhesion" issue for cut vinyl. The owner wanted to glue the vinyl on but I advised against it because in a few years when they want to remove the decal it would be very difficult to remove.

21. Msrae

Msrae Rae

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah