• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Vinyl graphics not sticking to customer's wall!!! Help!

DPkleonard

We installed vinyl graphics to a wall on Friday - just got a call that they are curling up.
The graphics were printed to Avery 2903, let it sit for 2 days, then cut, then masked, then applied to the wall. The wall has a gloss finish - was told it was a high grade paint. Trying to get more info on the paint...
Any ideas??? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Billct2

you need to find out if the paint is "Scrubbable" or some similar term, which means vinyl won't likke it

Chasez

3M has a wall test kit. Has saved us tons of time/material and the embarrassment of vinyl falling off walls because of all these new additives paint manufacturers are adding to make them "easy to clean".

Archive Ask the Expert: How Do I Choose the Right Film for My Wall? : 3M Graphic Solutions Products US

I would check it out and get one for yourself. I think it was around $150 CAD but do a couple tests and it will pay for itself. You can even add your own test strips (of common materials that you use in house).

Chaz

Currently, we always hand over samples to our customers who want wall graphics to test for adhesion first, or we take a sample to the job site and test it ourselves. We run 6" x 4" samples of everything in our shop and even a few things that we outsource.

klingsdesigns

Did you make sure you prepped the wall good before installing? We have run into customers not doing that and having issues.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Probably PTFE (Teflon) in the paint... we always give the client a small piece of test material to stick in the corner of the room and leave for a week or so to see if it will adhere properly.

Bly

Currently, we always hand over samples to our customers who want wall graphics to test for adhesion first, or we take a sample to the job site and test it ourselves. We run 6" x 4" samples of everything in our shop and even a few things that we outsource.

If we are installing wall graphics we also try and do an adhesion test.
Once bitten twice shy.

WrapYourCar

Yep you need to test the wall.. there is a spray can you can buy which treats the wall surface and dries within 20 mins.. if you cover the edges well and zigzag through the middle it should stop curling. Is the wall textured?

Dennis422

Was the wall freshly painted?
Maybe it's still outgassing and that will definitely cause decal to curl and fall off.

DPkleonard

Turns out the paint was Zero VOC. I see where you can clean the wall with alcohol/water, but I'm concerned about it showing...it's cut vinyl, not a full wrap.
Is there a way to do it? Or does the customer need to repaint?

bigben

Yep you need to test the wall.. there is a spray can you can buy which treats the wall surface and dries within 20 mins.. if you cover the edges well and zigzag through the middle it should stop curling. Is the wall textured?

I'm too interested in your spray. Can you give more details?

tdgraphics

I had a similar problem, a full 6 meter x 3 meter wall mural ended up in a pile on the floor. Turns out he paint was an anti graffiti paint. (it was not supposed to be when the project was discussed).

Anyway I got round it by preparing the wall with a mix of PVA (wood glue) and water mixed together. 1 part PVA to 4 parts water. Then paint on with a brush and let it dry. It has a very slight tac to it once dry. Then put up the print and all has been fine, no problems with the wall in the past 10 months.

Msrae

Rae
I had a similar problem, a full 6 meter x 3 meter wall mural ended up in a pile on the floor. Turns out he paint was an anti graffiti paint. (it was not supposed to be when the project was discussed).

Anyway I got round it by preparing the wall with a mix of PVA (wood glue) and water mixed together. 1 part PVA to 4 parts water. Then paint on with a brush and let it dry. It has a very slight tac to it once dry. Then put up the print and all has been fine, no problems with the wall in the past 10 months.

How hard do you think removal would be later with this? I had a flat painted door with the same "non-adhesion" issue for cut vinyl. The owner wanted to glue the vinyl on but I advised against it because in a few years when they want to remove the decal it would be very difficult to remove.