• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Cut Vinyl Layers

Renato Pinto

Graphics Manager
Does anybody know of a way to lay down multiple layers of cut vinyl together before applying them to a surface?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

equippaint

Clear transfer tape will probably be the answer but I personally hate clear tape. If I have to do it on the table, my amateur self makes and cuts square boxes in each corner for every color as alignment marks and just line up 1 side and stick it down. Then trash the squares. If its not rta and I'm applying, each layer goes on wet. No shame here, I use dollar general windex too.

Pippin Decals

made a custom shadow box light table. 28'x7' . It has 3 24"x24" LED remote control Light panels under glass that i can turn on anyone i want depending on the size of design i have. Lets me see thru all the layers and allows me to layer thru them as needed. Makes life very easy. Here is a simple video and photo of it the first day i got at home. Its now much more organized and no longer storing vinyl under the table.

table.jpg

ikarasu

Put a triangle or square in the corner of each color and use it as a registration mark. YouTube It, lots of videos.

Its really easy to do with an application table... But still doable without.

asd

i tried doing that a couple of times where I will tape the two colors or layers and it left bubbles right where the two colors met so I went back to doing it layer by layer in my case it did not make my job easier after having to pop all those bubbles

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Agree with asd. In general that saves no time installing but actually makes for a lower quality install because you get a line of air around each layer and you end up spending time trying to get the thin line of air out from around the layer edges. There is no way around that either, there will be bubbles on installation. The only way to prevent that is to install each layer one at a time, butt layers with no overlap, or just print it if there is more than one color.

fail1.jpg

Johnny Best

I have used the square registration marks as others have mentioned to line up before applying but only for small decals with regular transfer tape. But for large multi-color work such as on boats, I use clear tape and application fluid. You can see where you are applying it over the color below and move around to line up before adhering down with the squeegee. Also, it eliminates bubbles that someone else mentioned when applying dry and beforehand.