Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cut vinyl letters w/ window perf ?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by petepaz, Aug 14, 2012.

1. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    i am quoting a job for a fire truck. they have some cut letters they want on the top front windshield. they requested wintow perf.
    anyone done this before? not sure but won't that look like crap and how long would that hold up? they are only 3" letters so it's not like it will block the drivers view.

Tags:
  2. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    How about a 3"+ strip of printed perf?

3. ova

ova Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Wheeling, WV
    Did the back window of a Tow Truck [roll off] and the side windows of a van for the same company. Both vehicles are kept inside when not in use. I left the perf white so I didn't laminate it.

One is five years, the other four.

Only problem so far is the flaking or chiping of the perf where a hole has been cut thru when the letters were cut out. they wash these vechiles about once/ week.

Dave

4. SlightlyChilled

SlightlyChilled Very Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    +1

5. crystalcoastgraphics

crystalcoastgraphics Member

Sep 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    We have done it in the past with thick letters where the windshield wipers won't hit it. Also we did a contour cut before we laminated it, did the weeding, cutting around all the crop marks so they stayed on, then laminating it and cutting it again but this time with like a cut path of 1/4" outside the original cut path so that you get a 1/4" of laminate that will basically seal the edges. Worked well, although haven't done it much. Haven't had any complaints or redo's!

6. SIGNTIME

SIGNTIME Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    ny
    haven't done this but it sounds to me like the best solution, I would use 3m edge sealer tape on the bottom as well.

7. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've never done this before on a firetruck & I've done a lot of firetrucks...
    Talk them into another material, or just leaving it off all-together since it's just cut lettering at that small size.

8. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    i quoted it with cut white vinyl letters and they were ok with that
    thanks for the input