• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut vinyl on printed?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have a customer that ordered an outdoor sign. It's printed and laminated. Now he wants to add a saying on the bottom and asked if I can just add it with cut vinyl instead of re-printing. Of course the sign is double sided and 48" x 65". I've never had this come up before, I'm thinking I should NOT add cut vinyl over the top of a laminated print...please advise. Thank you

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No problem whatsoever. Just be sure its really good and squeaky clean before you put it on. Oh, and make sure you do it right the first time, cause vinyl on vinyl has the best adhesion properties of all.

Stacey K

I like making signs
No problem whatsoever. Just be sure its really good and squeaky clean before you put it on. Oh, and make sure you do it right the first time, cause vinyl on vinyl has the best adhesion properties of all.
That's great news for my customer! I'm glad this will work out for the customer as he's a new restaurant that had to delay opening due to Covid. Any money savings I can pass on, I'm happy to do so.

bannertime

Yup, I just want to reinforce Gino's comment that it'll be fine. We've done this to hit specific looks we couldn't print like metallic vinyl on a printed background.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yup, I just want to reinforce Gino's comment that it'll be fine. We've done this to hit specific looks we couldn't print like metallic vinyl on a printed background.
That's great to know for future reference! Thank you for the input!

OhioSigns

Overlays are fine, just keep in mind if it is going over any design that you use should use a vinyl that is opaque and does not allow the background colors to bleed through it.