• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Vinyl on Semi Trailer Advice

basstrax

Hello!
I'm doing a cut vinyl job on a semi trailer, that will remain stationary. The letters are large, 22" high, 3 lines of text, longest line of text is 30'.

I used our Gfp 463TH laminator to apply the premask to the cut vinyl and I'm having a difficult time with wrinkles because the material seems to go out of line. I'm using 24" Brightline high tack, rubber based tape. That and vinyl are both on the same measure notch on the load bars of laminator, and I can't for the life of me, get the vinyl to stay on track for this process! Should I be using better tape?(More than likely) Should the material be fed from the back of laminator instead of front?

The install is in direct sunlight. There was slight oxidation, so a couple of days prior to install, we took a power washer and a scrub brush to it, but no soap. (should soap have been used?) Day of install I hit it with 70% alcohol, positioned line of text, did a book hinge in the middle, hit the surface and vinyl backside with Clear Star Action Tac, applied vinyl, waited a few minutes, started pulling application tape and had to stop 2 letters in because the vinyl was not sticking very well, pulling up as transfer paper was pulled. We were using black Avery 700 film, which I know now was one of a few things done wrong here! We're looking at using Avery 900 supercast air egress, and Rtape conform 4075RLA for our next attempt, but very open to suggestions if there's something anyone would recommend, and or anything I can do to get this job done right.
Thank you for any help!

visual800

im going to blame it on the oxidation. If you wipe with towel and alcohol does any white residue come off on towel? if so its the oxidation.

we clean old surfaces with soft scrub and a loofah, rinse and then spray alcohol, its a pita but it works

basstrax

We did wipe it after, I didn't see any more oxidation, it was very minimal to begin with. It's a little newer trailer, in good shape.
Thank you

kanini

If the high tack doesn't stick the 900 probably won't either. As visual800 said it could be the oxidation. Try a lower tack masking tape and try first with a piece of standard masking tape on the surface. If that sticks relatively well your chances are the vinyl will, if not something is not right with the surface. Good luck and hope you get it sorted with your next attempt!

d fleming

I use eagle one car wash for oxidation with a LOT of elbow grease then alcohol wipe prior to application. Eagle one works very well. Get it from Napa.