• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutline Issue

egood81

You will have to excuse me if this seems like a dumb question, I am a newbie. I am really stuck making a simple cut line around a circle sticker. I have been using the same process as I would when doing a contour cut line but its not working when doing a simple circle cut line.

I have the vector as a layer and then on a new layer I create a circle with the shape tool. I have no fill and the Roland cut contour swatch as the stroke. I have saved it as a PDF and EPS. When I open in Versaworks there is no "marching ants". What am I doing wrong here?

DoubleDiamond

Cut, as in control X, the cutline. Then flatten your image, all of it together. Then paste in front, as in control F. Save again and there you go. Roland and AI have an issue with any transparency. Drop shadows are the most common issue, but any transparency will prevent the cut lines from showing up. When you flatten you must not use preserve alpha transparency, use the other. If the image looks wrong you can try several things like rasterize, etc. but you may end up saving as a jpg then open that jpg then lay the cutline over it and save as an eps or pdf.

egood81

I did try flattening the image but I did it with the cut line still there. I did what you said and removed the cut line and then flattened and then brought back the cut line. It worked! Thank you, I appreciate your help!

DoubleDiamond

You will have a variety of different issues with this and the same solution does not always work. It can be a pain sometimes and we even tried successfully to create two files, one for printing and the other with just cutlines for cutting. The overall image size has to be exact and this works too.