• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Cutting ACM (1/4") Panel Along 4' Length With Knife?

player

I have to cut 2 sheets of ACM along the 4' length. It is 1/4" (6mm) thick. Can I use a knife? I have searched but only found one thread.

Thanks

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yes a box cutter will do. I use a straight edge with C clamps to make sure it doesn't move. I've cut up to 10 mm thickness. Score it a few times then put it at the edge of the table and bend it.

Johnny Best

Track saw cuts it without the torn edges.
If you insist on using a utility knife, score both sides, then bend it to "break" it apart. Doing both sides gives you a cleaner edge. It dulls the blade quickly

player

What about using a plexi hook type cutter and going right through?

If I score both edges and then snap the sheet would I need to lightly sand the edge?

Johnny Best

Yes you need to sand edge, Just use 150 grit on a sanding block and run it on its edge.
I don't know about the plexi cutter, never used one. Purchased a track saw years ago to cut the ACM. Quicker and no edges to sand or take care of.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Did Cosby move to Dallas? I think I'm behind his truck
BfTCTyCDmX4FGnQIHfSXle87ZneOKfr_0CrCqQD7MlMAqI7P0o7z6Mc3b6-iFZSNpS_t9ke0cS6Rdg71uRoteKV2uCXqDOD7H2B9GRNdf0DGk1xFeUboIy96E7pU9cgkLaqHGMd-uok=w892-h669-no

TimToad

We got tired of spending so much time cleaning up the mess from saw cutting ACM, so we use our 63" Fletcher cutter for anything shorter than that and then an OLFA XH-1 with the 25mm heavy duty blades for longer cuts. They are thicker and have less flex than your standard "Bloody Mary" blades, so it seems to get through the aluminum skin easier.

We do it just like how Texas described how to do it. We only score both sides if its the 6mm corrugated type.

player

What about snapping off if I am only taking 2" x 4' off the 4' x 8' 6mm (1/4") board? Thus taking the board down to 7' 10". Is it difficult to snap with only 2" to grab?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What about snapping off if I am only taking 2" x 4' off the 4' x 8' 6mm (1/4") board? Thus taking the board down to 7' 10". Is it difficult to snap with only 2" to grab?

With your hands yes, so I use a rubber mallet to knock small cuts off.

Also... if you ever want to do curved cuts... (Like say large round corners or a big arch) I apply vinyl so I have something to trace on both front and back, and then freehand it with an xacto knife scoring along the vinyl on both sides... then it breaks clean and you have a nice smooth curve in whatever shape your vinyl is in.

Last edited:

Johnny Best

Use a 4' 1x2 on the edge with a pair of vice grips to snap off thin piece. Lay the 1x2 on the 2" cut piece and vice grips towards both ends holding the ACM and 1x2. Grab both vice grips and snap off piece.

Texas has a rubber and mallet in his toolbox, if he can't fix it with the mallet he screws it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Use a 4' 1x2 on the edge with a pair of vice grips to snap off thin piece. Lay the 1x2 on the 2" cut piece and vice grips towards both ends holding the ACM and 1x2. Grab both vice grips and snap off piece.

Texas has a rubber and mallet in his toolbox, if he can't fix it with the mallet he screws it.

Your humor is sinking to the level of AMS now... I think you need some rest this weekend.... I sure know I do. :sleepin:

ChicagoGraphics

A regular box cutter score it 3-4 times one side only, then put at edge of table and quickly snap it off, clean edges on both sides no need for any sanding. I have done many 4x8 sheets like that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We too, use our panel saw for most cuts. Just cut 11 4' × 8's down to 4' × 4's. Did 4 panels at a time. Had it done in about 10 minutes. If we're cutting an inch or 2, we still use the panel saw. On ocassion, we'll use our fletcher, but 6mm is hard to cut through and especially what you wanna cut. You're gonna be cutting against all the flutes. That's difficult with any hand tools and snapping. Don't you own a circular saw ?? If you'd set up the same scenario for using a knife, you could do the same thing with a saw...... and be done in 10 seconds, instead of scoring and scoring and scoring....... and beating it with whatever. With a shopvac, ya just clean up your mess in about 1/2 a minute. It will be accurate, straight and no worry of the knife going off track and in the end, just take a round file and run it one time down the cut and it deburrs it perfectly.

3 mm cuts absolutley fine on a saw, fletcher or even with a hand tool like a knife of some sort. Having the right tools, really helps....... or a friend with one.

Another thing is, maybe your supplier will cut your panels down for you, for a slight charge.

player

We too, use our panel saw for most cuts. Just cut 11 4' × 8's down to 4' × 4's. Did 4 panels at a time. Had it done in about 10 minutes. If we're cutting an inch or 2, we still use the panel saw. On ocassion, we'll use our fletcher, but 6mm is hard to cut through and especially what you wanna cut. You're gonna be cutting against all the flutes. That's difficult with any hand tools and snapping. Don't you own a circular saw ?? If you'd set up the same scenario for using a knife, you could do the same thing with a saw...... and be done in 10 seconds, instead of scoring and scoring and scoring....... and beating it with whatever. With a shopvac, ya just clean up your mess in about 1/2 a minute. It will be accurate, straight and no worry of the knife going off track and in the end, just take a round file and run it one time down the cut and it deburrs it perfectly.

3 mm cuts absolutley fine on a saw, fletcher or even with a hand tool like a knife of some sort. Having the right tools, really helps....... or a friend with one.

Another thing is, maybe your supplier will cut your panels down for you, for a slight charge.
All good points. I am just not able to easily do anything right now. I would normally use my CNC but it is out of commission at the moment. I sold my nice panel saw years ago when I closed my shop and decided to go it on my own without emplyees and a big shop overhead. The circular saw is a pain in the butt right now. The easiest thing is a cutting knife. Supplier was asking $50 for one cut. Plus 24-48 hours notice. On principle I declined to use them. I am going to use a knife if it kills me.