• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting alupanel or dibond with vinyl on top

Skye

Hello
We are getting a local cnc guy aluminum composite into small letters about 2-3" high. However I would like to cover in proper vinyl colour first. Cnc guy is worried the edges of vinyl will look crappy after he cuts.
Sorry if this sounds dumb but my first time on this type of small letters.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks.

Jillbeans

Seems like it would be easier all around to just paint the letters after they are cut.
Love....Jill

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I've covered 1/4" lexan with vinyl and had letters CNC cut and they came out perfectly. I've had lots of AL composite CNC cut and, while the cut is smooth the edges of the aluminum want to stand up a bit and I've always needed to knock them down. I use a1x3/4 brass bar about 10" long with slightly rounded edges rather than any sort of abrasive or cutting edge dressing tool. Just run the end of the brass bar around the edges of the composite and this bends them back flat and level removing the knife-like edge that's standing up.The resulting edge is perfect and is indistinguishable from the factory edge.

This works flawlessly but I doubt any vinyl on the composite would survive But then I've never tried it with vinyl on the composite.Your mileage may vary.