• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting backs of decals for easy peeling

VicoDrive

Im about to run a ton of oval decals. Some decals are slit down the backs of them to make peeling them off the backing a little easier. Is there a special tool for this or generally just done by a knife by not pressing down too hard? Just feel you risk damaging some decals this way.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Im about to run a ton of oval decals. Some decals are slit down the backs of them to make peeling them off the backing a little easier. Is there a special tool for this or generally just done by a knife by not pressing down too hard? Just feel you risk damaging some decals this way.

Producing split-back decals with anything less than specialized equipment usually found only in massive weapons-grade facilities ranges from difficult to impossible.

gabagoo

The only reason I have found to do this is if they are die cut right to the edge and you cant separate the decal from the edge of the paper. if your printing them in house and cutting them on a plotter, there really is no reason to slit the backs... There is a hand tool you can buy to do it, but it is very time consuming and not really necessary.

VicoDrive

The only reason I have found to do this is if they are die cut right to the edge and you cant separate the decal from the edge of the paper. if your printing them in house and cutting them on a plotter, there really is no reason to slit the backs... There is a hand tool you can buy to do it, but it is very time consuming and not really necessary.

I am die cutting these to the edge, not something I have ever messed with before but we are giving it a shot. I had no problem peeling the back off but a couple others in the shop were. Does the hand tool have a name?

oksigns

That back kiss cut would be nice, but you could always add a "tab" of outer material that would be safe to bend back.

J Hill Designs

ive used a plotter blade in its holder, set so the blade peeks out only enough to cut through the backing, and just run it accross the backing

VicoDrive

ive used a plotter blade in its holder, set so the blade peeks out only enough to cut through the backing, and just run it accross the backing

Thats a thought also. Do you put the material in the machine upside down and have it do it, or take the blade out and do it by hand?

J Hill Designs

I did it by hand (once thickness is dialed in, it takes less than a second), but I'm sure with some planning etc you could let the machine do the work

d fleming

Piece of wood, two screws and a razor blade.

Attachments

• kiss cut.jpg
    kiss cut.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 415

petepaz

we have a slitter like this (not exact but similar) it has multiple blades and the depth is adjustable then we put our silk screened sheets through and it slits the backs on the entire sheet of decals and then we die cut them. unfortunately ours is so old not sure where you would even find one. but that is what you want for large runs. if you have more then 50 or maybe 100 you don't want to be slitting the backs by hand on each piece

Attachments

• 073-500x375.jpg
    073-500x375.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 396

d fleming

we have a slitter like this (not exact but similar) it has multiple blades and the depth is adjustable then we put our silk screened sheets through and it slits the backs on the entire sheet of decals and then we die cut them. unfortunately ours is so old not sure where you would even find one. but that is what you want for large runs. if you have more then 50 or maybe 100 you don't want to be slitting the backs by hand on each piece
Had one years ago, it's been forever since I had to do any slitting. Matter of fact, just sold my challenge paper cutter.

VicoDrive

That back kiss cut would be nice, but you could always add a "tab" of outer material that would be safe to bend back.

Just did a batch with the tab, it worked out! Just need to adjust some depth settings for the next batch but it worked. Thanks!

Why did you take on a job you didn't know how to do? How did you quote labor on something you don't know how long it takes to do?

Not pressing down to hard with a knife = scoring.

Enjoy the race to the bottom!!!!!!

VicoDrive

Why did you take on a job you didn't know how to do? How did you quote labor on something you don't know how long it takes to do?

Not pressing down to hard with a knife = scoring.

Enjoy the race to the bottom!!!!!!

Ill say to you what I say to others with remarks like your....This is Signs 101, not Signs 102

And I knew I could do the jobs, I just wanted to find the best way to go about it.

As for quotes, Im the designer and printer, I dont deal with pricing