• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Business Cards on Roland?

bnosanchuk

We'd like to print and cut our own business cards on our Roland Sp-540v. But we've heard that this is very taxing on the machine as you are cutting through card stock and also all the way through the material, risking messing up your blade strip. We don't mind going through blades, but we don't want to damage our machine. Does anyone else regularly cut business cards on their Roland? How much pressure do you generally use?

TXFB.INS

Yes we do business cards or short run items on our Roland.

No we do not PERF cut anything on the Roland, there are too many better options and options that do not run the risk of damaging the machine.

for example we print the cards in small batches and then sheet cut them, then stack them into multilayer then we use our Guillotine paper cutter to cut the cards down.

on a side note if you are going to this much effort make business cards, why not use a material that is more interesting than paper? Banner, canvas, Sintra, etc...
Otherwise use a paper printer and have them do the cards with a special finish.

OldPaint

if you are just going to do YOUR OWN.......cost and efficiency wise, you are better off going to OFFICE DEPOT...getting packs of already preferated card stock. can get glossy single side, or no-glossy print on both sides......AVERY # 8871 use 8873 label template in corel. it will print 10 card per 8.5 X 11 sheet.
for me i print up 50-60 every couple months on my HP K850 deskjet.

CanuckSigns

if you are just going to do YOUR OWN.......cost and efficiency wise, you are better off going to OFFICE DEPOT...getting packs of already preferated card stock. can get glossy single side, or no-glossy print on both sides......AVERY # 8871 use 8873 label template in corel. it will print 10 card per 8.5 X 11 sheet.
for me i print up 50-60 every couple months on my HP K850 deskjet.

Or order them from a wholesaler like 4over and pay less than you can imagine for 1000 full colour cards on actual card stock. To me nothing screams " I don't take this job seriously" like cards with perforated edges and @gmail email addresses.

J Hill Designs

Or order them from a wholesaler like 4over and pay less than you can imagine for 1000 full colour cards on actual card stock. To me nothing screams " I don't take this job seriously" like cards with perforated edges and @gmail email addresses.

LOL Im working with a consultant for a multi-million dollar apartment complex that still uses an @aol.com email address

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I hear ya....... :omg: I just met with two customers yesterday who said they'd prefer if we did everything by phone or fax, because the e-mail thing is too confusing for them. They can get more accomplished in a 2 minute phone call than 35 e-mails back & forth where no one knows what's going on..... and it's drawn out over a day or two. :rolleyes:

As for the thread here..... why do you wanna do something which you can get done for $10 or $15 while you put your equipment to good use and make 100's..... or $1,000's in the same time period ??

See the odd similarity ?? :popcorn:

OldPaint

i love it when people dont know what they are talking about..BUT ASSUME..........
FYI..........................AVERY MAKES A BUSINESS CARD STOCK called CLEAN EDGE))))) the old perforated looking edges are GONE)))) here are all of em......
http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/...ord matches|avery business cards&predict=true
and the ones i suggested and i USE.
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Pr...e-Ink-Jet-Clean-Edge-Business-Cards_08871.htm

i love it when people dont know what they are talking about..BUT ASSUME..........
FYI..........................AVERY MAKES A BUSINESS CARD STOCK called CLEAN EDGE))))) the old perforated looking edges are GONE)))) here are all of em......
http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/...ord matches|avery business cards&predict=true
and the ones i suggested and i USE.
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Pr...e-Ink-Jet-Clean-Edge-Business-Cards_08871.htm

So you can print 1000 unprofessional business cards for $89.55 plus the cost of ink, when you could be buying 1000 cards offset printed from 4over on 16 pt. stock with a variety of finishes for ummm...WAY less than that...like WAAAY less.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
But HE gets to PICK when HE gets to PRINT them))))))))))))))))))or HE could use HIS valuable time on earth doing something better!!!!!!!!!!)))))))))))

splizaat

Work smarter not harder. After electricity, ink and paper costs + labor to cut cards, how could any one of you possibly justify printing your own business cards?

We get 250 cards printed for like $7.00. I'd even pay $15 before I'd go buy a roll of media and waste the time printing and cutting them.

OldPaint

I SAID FOR MY NEEDS...........i prefer to make em as i need them. if i want to change something i can......as for ink, i have a HP K 850, with a CIS bulk ink setup. $29.00 for 4- 4 oz bottles of ink))))
so my cost is minimal 200 cards....is bout 6 months worth.....as iam not bustin the hump and tryin for any more work.))))))))

Doesn't seem worth it to me. Nothing like a curved paper business card.....not. Be professional. Although I do like the idea if you had a router of doing business cards out of thin aluminum and just router the text out.

CanuckSigns

I SAID FOR MY NEEDS...........i prefer to make em as i need them. if i want to change something i can......as for ink, i have a HP K 850, with a CIS bulk ink setup. $29.00 for 4- 4 oz bottles of ink))))
so my cost is minimal 200 cards....is bout 6 months worth.....as iam not bustin the hump and tryin for any more work.))))))))

Do whatever you want, but for the price of the blank card stock you posted, you could buy 1000 cards from 4over, throw 800 of them in the garbage and still be $5 ahead of the game...