• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting customer supplied vinyl price

bayviewsignworks

I have a guy who's a vinyl rep came in and would like us to cut vinyl for him - for a job.

What would be a good Sq. Ft. price?

Again, he would be supplying the vinyl; which is a window tint. It would be the shape of a wave for about 200'

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you capable of cutting something 200' long ??

If you're just cutting something squiggly for 200' I would guess about 1/2 hour to cut it, so 1/2 of your hourly rate, unless you have a shop minimum setup.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Are you capable of cutting something 200' long ??

If you're just cutting something squiggly for 200' I would guess about 1/2 hour to cut it, so 1/2 of your hourly rate, unless you have a shop minimum setup.
200 feet in a half hour?!?

Joe House

Have you cut window tint before? It does not handle like vinyl at all. We sell special blades just for window tint. It also needs to be cut unidirectional and any pinch wheels in the middle will leave tracks. You should ask for a sample to test on before either of you commit to this.

Good Luck

Jeremiah

Have you cut window tint before? It does not handle like vinyl at all. We sell special blades just for window tint. It also needs to be cut unidirectional and any pinch wheels in the middle will leave tracks. You should ask for a sample to test on before either of you commit to this.

Good Luck
This is a very good point about tinting. We do not cut tint material or even tint, but those darn roller tracks on vinyl.

Malkin

We have 1 customer who brings us 15" vinyl to cut a few times a month.
I told him $25 to start an order, + $2 per linear foot to cut (unless super detailed) +design time if needed.

Joe House

Don't cut window tint. It slips on the rollers.
We sell to a lot of window tint shops and have good luck with Graphtecs - both CE and FC Roll series. The only thing they cut for the most part is window tint or paint protection film. They do it all day long and it's second nature to them much like cutting decals is for most of us here.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I'd pass on this. I've only ever cut a supplied material once and wish I hadn't. the job ran just fine, but the guy was a jerk. he's come back since and i've declined all other orders. it's simply not worth it for me.

but if you choose to do the job and you have the capabilities, assuming it's just cut no weed or table time, i'd charge the hourly rate for however long it takes to cut. if you have to create art or prep a file, charge for it.

mark galoob

I wouldn’t take this job. I only work with known materials that are verified to work problem free in my machines. How can u even price this job if unknown problems exist...I’ve been known to spend hours chasing down problems w jobs gone bad...I’d say u are taking on lots of unnecessary risk here. The only way I’d take this job is hourly and price like vinyl removal....however long it takes it takes and 60 bucks an hour

Chriswagner92

Personally, I don't like running anything through our equipment that we wouldn't normally run. If someone brings in a bit of 651 and they want something cut out, no biggie, $40 shop minimum.