• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting decals fc8000

Mf

We are on our 2nd graphtec cutter. We do die cut decals all the time and use the arms feature. My question is I'd like to cut all the way through the "vinyl" and backing paper so it appears to be a true die cut. Is this possible? We run flexi 10.5 and use contour cutting to set our cuts now.

thank you in advanced

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Perf cutting falls neatly into the category of things that you can do but probably should not do.

There are few things on the planet more abrasive than paper. Cutting into, let alone through, backing paper will eat blades. The tip, which is the part that cuts the vinyl, will erode away to a useless rounded nub in no time at all and that tiny part of the edge that engages the media will become hopelessly dull shortly after.

Unless you own an open pit blade mine, this really is a Good Idea.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Bob
the Graphtec has a blade holder that swings out over a small groove that allows the blade to pierce the backing paper without contacting the platen during perf cutting.

wayne k
guam usa

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bob
the Graphtec has a blade holder that swings out over a small groove that allows the blade to pierce the backing paper without contacting the platen during perf cutting...

It's the cutting of the backing paper that consumes blades, not where the blade holder might happen to be. Paper is incredibly abrasive. The blade cuts the paper, thus the blade, featuring a miniscule edge, is dulled almost instantly.

Even with weapons grade guillotine cutters that feature a cutting edge measured in feet instead of a mere fraction of an inch, blades dull rapidly. I know this because of a misspent youth working in print shops since I was about 10 years old until not all that many years ago. I changed many a blade in guillotine cutters and, take my word for it, it is or at least was, a rather dangerous undertaking and a really good way to cut yourself to the bone and not even realize it until you've bled all over everything. You'd think that a blade 3/8"-1/2" thick, 4"-5" wide, and 3 or so feet long would last until the next ice age. Not so, it was a task that everyone avoided like the plague but still needed to be done after a relatively small number of cuts.