• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting laminated prints

DetailsGS

What is the common wisdom on pressure speed etc. for cutting laminated prints? Both high performance like 3m-180 and intermediate calander vinyls and laminates.

Does anyone use a lower pressure and 2 or more passes?

Do you test cut every time?

Thanks, DK

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
IMO use a 60 degree blade and 1 pass, slow down the cut speed a little and up the pressure.

I usually do a few tests on the material to find the sweet spot. Make notes on the settings for the material and next time you can dial it right back in.

cajunaviator

I have an SP540V. I use mostly intermediate vinyl and laminate. Combined 3 mil. I use a 45 degree blade with my cut speed and up speed set at 10. My pressure is at 180 to 200. I make sure everything I create has rounded corners and everything cuts good. With the exception that I can't cut anything longer than say 60" or my cut is skewed off to one side by the end of the cut.

Sticky Signs

1 pass should be fine. Always test cut. You want to make sure you're cutting through the vinyl and lightly scoring the backing paper. DON'T CUT THE BACKING PAPER!!! I had to do a very difficult install once that was cut by another company that cut to deep. It made a difficult job almost impossible.
Don't know if it makes a big difference but I use a 60º blade and changed the offset to compensate. I think the number is 0.375 but I could be wrong.

Custom_Grafx

^^+1

Always test cut - it's fast, easy, and harmless. Blade's condition can vary, vinyl can vary, etc. Have a base point to start at, and fine tune it. Try to keep a fresh blade in the machine always. Don't use blunt blades to save money - simply not worth it.

And yes, the offset is very important - I see quite a few graphics where it's obvious this hasn't been adjusted. It's a great benefit to be able to adjust it.

I don't suggest 2 pass. Avoid it if you can. If you have to do it, do it slow, and not over large areas. Misregistration means it's pointless. If they had it set up to double cut in succession it would be ok, but it does all the cuts, then it comes back to origin and repeats. Not a good idea IMO.

Best way to double cut is to copy/paste the cutline on top of itself - it will then double cut without going to the next object.

Speedsterbeast

I have been having good luck with my SP-300V running at 15" / sec. with 130 downforce for laminated media. 1 Pass.

The secret to finding a good combination to cut is the same as tire pressures for racing: Use a starting point and then make large jumps in adjustments, otherwise you will spend eternity chasing your tail trying to find the right balance with small adjustments.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The distance from the centre of a cutting tool to its cutting point. When the setting is off your machine doesn't correctly account for that distance, resulting in rounded corners or horned corners and other issues.

And once it's set, it's set. On plotters with round blades, like Graphtec, it's exactly 1/2 the shaft diameter. Set it and forget it. Once set, if you have problems, it's not the offset setting.

The distance never, as in ever, varies, unless you change to a blade with a different physical shape. Different cutting angle doesn't count. No matter what the angle the offset distance remains the same.

It's endlessly amusing when someone drifts into these waters complaining of cutting problems and the knee-jerk responses all proclaiming offset to be the culprit. It seldom, if ever, is.