Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting Letters

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jr gong, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Jr gong

Jr gong Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Port of Spain
    Hi y'all,

I've been printing for a few months and i wanna cut out letters/shapes etc out of: Aluminum, PVC, acrylic, wood etc. Outsourcing to local shops are allot in my area (those who even want to do it) So i want to do it myself. From extensive googling, seems like a scroll saw is the best thing there is, outside of a cnc machine.
    Any of you guys have an idea if the scroll saw can cut the things i listed? Thanks.

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Sure it can. Might require a different blade for each of those.

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Yes, it will do the job. You'll just need to develop a steady hand and keep your eye ahead of what your cutting. Be sure to wear good glasses/goggles.

4. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    scroll saws are best suited for detailed work, also a scroll saw is limited by the length of its neck.

I would look at a router or a jigsaw if you are trying to cut shapes & designs into the substrate.

5. Jr gong

Jr gong Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Port of Spain
    Thanks guys, your input has been really important.

6. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    For cutting really small letters a scroll is best for larger letters a big band saw with deep throat or a Bosch jigsaw.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I also forgot, you may be able to purchase a used one on Ebay, Cutawl, great machine to cut everything with. I don't think they make them anymore but if you could find one they are great to cut letters with.

8. petrosgraphics

petrosgraphics Member

Feb 24, 2010
    cape cod, ma
    Cutawl, great machine, and still is. the right blade can sometimes be hard to find, but a great tool....

9. henryz

henryz Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Long Beach, CA