• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Letters

Jr gong

Hi y'all,

I've been printing for a few months and i wanna cut out letters/shapes etc out of: Aluminum, PVC, acrylic, wood etc. Outsourcing to local shops are allot in my area (those who even want to do it) So i want to do it myself. From extensive googling, seems like a scroll saw is the best thing there is, outside of a cnc machine.
Any of you guys have an idea if the scroll saw can cut the things i listed? Thanks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it will do the job. You'll just need to develop a steady hand and keep your eye ahead of what your cutting. Be sure to wear good glasses/goggles.

2B

scroll saws are best suited for detailed work, also a scroll saw is limited by the length of its neck.

I would look at a router or a jigsaw if you are trying to cut shapes & designs into the substrate.

Johnny Best

I also forgot, you may be able to purchase a used one on Ebay, Cutawl, great machine to cut everything with. I don't think they make them anymore but if you could find one they are great to cut letters with.