• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Magnetic Sheeting

butsie

I'm getting ready to print and cut my first magnetic signs and had a question about the plotter. Does the plotter need to be manual adjusted for the magnetic sheeting or does it do it automatically through the computer software. I have the Geber EnVision.

Thank you

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
butsie said:
I'm getting ready to print and cut my first magnetic signs and had a question about the plotter. Does the plotter need to be manual adjusted for the magnetic sheeting or does it do it automatically through the computer software. I have the Geber EnVision.

Thank you

Print the image, including margin marks if it's a rectangle or a hairline outline if it's some odd shape, on vinyl and apply it to the magnetic media. Then manually cut out the finished product with a sharp utility knife or scissors.

While it's possible to print directly on magnetic material, there's printable magnetic media available, it's not reasonable. It's so heavy that if your printer is friction feed it won't feed it properly, you'll loose 10%-12% in the direction of feed. In other words a 12" feed will wind up 11" or less. Moreover the stuff is soo think that any perturbation in the surface, any micro buckling, will most likely contact a print head or two. I tried printing directly on magnetic media a couple of times and it's not worth the hassle nor is the end result partcularly good. Not good enough that I'd want to deliver it to a client.

It's also possible to contour cut magnetic media but, again, not reasonable. The lateral strain it puts on the plotter's tool carriage is enormous. You might get away with it once or twice but the strain and damage is cumulative and you'll end up screwing it up. Most likely it will be subtle. The thing will just seem to lose its accuracy and stability.

It's a lot faster and easier on both you and the equipment to do it the way I descibed.

butsie

Bob, I would like to thank you for taking the time to supply me with all the information about magnetic sheeting and cutting. I did do some research and after reading quite a bit about printing and cutting the Gerber Mag I decided to try a 12"x16" magnetic decal for one of our Fleet vehicles and had no problems at all. The Edge ran the material with out any problems, just a little slower than normal and the EnVision seemed to adjust the speed and depth for a perfect cut. It came out perfect without any further need of cutting manuallly.

Thanks again!

pdqsigns

I'm with Bob on this one. I've got a half roll of magnetic that screwed up in the cutter and now just print on intermediate vinyl and apply to magnetic. I hate having to babysit the machine with magnetic in it when I could be doing other things.