• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Mat & Grommet Machine

Atbravgirl

Hi,

I am setting up my sign business & am hoping for some advice from people who are established already & will share their recommendations with me. I have a 4 x 8 wood table that was built for me. I am looking for the best cutting mat to go on top of the table. Also, I need a grommet machine. I have done research on both but there is so many out there I'm not sure which is best.

Thank you for your help,
TIna

Bill Modzel

I just ordered a printed poly 4x8 cutting map. Actually, it's a replacement. The one in the table at the moment is as least 12 years old. I't still usable but most of the grid is finally worn off by years of cutting and occasionally you hit a groove that pulls the knife. Never the less, they're a great investment if you do allot of sheeting and cutting down decals.

rjssigns

I buy whatever cutting mat is on sale with no grid. I have a printed grid on the table.(first money saving tip)

Don't skimp on the grommet press though.(second money saving tip) My preference is for Hiker.

DirtyD

Image 1 Impact Cutting Mat...

I use a grommet machine from Grimco not sure what brand..says FD works good

ProColorGraphics

I LOVE my Hiker grommet machine. I do however have a "offbrand" grommet machine I would give you a killer deal on just to get it out of my way! :) It works great, just takes a little more force to press it down. My employees needed something a little easier to press. :)

We use the HIKER grommet machine---- we dont use the cutting mat we have a 4x8 1/4 inch plate glass top

Markus

We cut on glass for many years. At this years SGIA show I got a clear cutting mat from yellotools.. Best thing ever. Use to go though blades like crazy.
Now we are on the same blade tip for days at a time.

printed grid!

I buy whatever cutting mat is on sale with no grid. I have a printed grid on the table.(first money saving tip)

Don't skimp on the grommet press though.(second money saving tip) My preference is for Hiker.

I am looking for one, I just got cutting mat today, an I was wanting to put a printed grid underneath. Did you create yours or bought the template? if bough can you share where?

Please and Thank You!
Jo-Jo

rjssigns

I am looking for one, I just got cutting mat today, an I was wanting to put a printed grid underneath. Did you create yours or bought the template? if bough can you share where?

Please and Thank You!
Jo-Jo

It's been so long I don't remeber where the grid came from.

FWIW A few minutes spent with a straightedge and sharpie making lines on your work table will get you there. There's a money saving tip!

I use the grid as a reference when hemming banners or a rough check for straight cuts on things.

Not the end of the world if you never get or make one.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Print the grid on vinyl on your printer, lay on table, cover with mat.

Bretbyron

I used a smooth FRP Sheet scuffed and contact cemented to our table. Sourced a used Kick Press and Consew from John Harb. Got our self piercing dies and grommets from King Richards. Kick Presses are the BOMB!:thumb: