• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Metallic Vinyl

Ive been having some trouble with cutting silver metallic vinyl. sometimes it cuts all the way through and sometimes it doesn't. Lots of trouble on the corners of letters and things like that.

Any suggestions on why? Blade angle wrong?

clarizeyale

few things I think maybe going on :

- idk what kind of plotter you have but maybe your blade is getting stuck? Mine can be pulled out and I think it gets stuck when it's extended out of it's holder... as I've noticed some items will get cut deeper or completely out.

- maybe the file has a second path that its reading and does like.. 2 passes? I've had this come up before and of course, was super frustrating...

- letters too small so corners get all chopped up?

;( other than that, I'm not sure. I try to do test cuts to make sure pressure and all are right but even then, it doesn't always act the same once sending the job.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You might want to switch to a 60 degree blade if the material is thicker. If it is reflective you should absolutely be on a 60 degree blade. Also, make sure your cut strip is not damages and replace as necessary. Check the blade for a broken tip as well.

AKwrapguy

Ive been having some trouble with cutting silver metallic vinyl. sometimes it cuts all the way through and sometimes it doesn't. Lots of trouble on the corners of letters and things like that.

Any suggestions on why? Blade angle wrong?

When you say silver metallic, are talking silver with metallic flakes vinyl like 3M 1080 or a shiny chrome polyester vinyl?

Andy D

You might want to switch to a 60 degree blade if the material is thicker. If it is reflective you should absolutely be on a 60 degree blade. Also, make sure your cut strip is not damages and replace as necessary. Check the blade for a broken tip as well.

PLUS 1 on checking you cutting strip, especially if it's cutting unevenly throughout the same cut.

VanderJ,, off topic a little, I have heard not to use the blade that you cut your regular vinyl with, to cut metallic or reflective vinyl...
because the metallic particles will dull and nick the blade edge... that you should use an older blade.
Do you find that to be the case?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
PLUS 1 on checking you cutting strip, especially if it's cutting unevenly throughout the same cut.

VanderJ,, off topic a little, I have heard not to use the blade that you cut your regular vinyl with, to cut metallic or reflective vinyl...
because the metallic particles will dull and nick the blade edge... that you should use an older blade.

I don't use cutters enough to know but most of my customers use brand new 60 degree blades on stuff like that and they seem to go through a lot so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. It is definitely true that any blade will wear faster cutting that stuff due to the abrasiveness of it.

AKwrapguy

We have specific blades for materials because if this. So we have a blade that is only used for vinyl, one used for reflective, one used for HIP/DG.

When you say silver metallic, are talking silver with metallic flakes vinyl like 3M 1080 or a shiny chrome polyester vinyl?
its an avery 900 supercast silver that we have been using for decals. I recently switched the blade to a 60 and slowing the cut speed right down which had resulted to better cuts.