• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting paper on a plotter HELP

fastmax

we are trying to cut snowflake style designs out of paper, i have not had success on our laser doing this, next try is seeing if i can get the plotter to cut it, its a graphtec

any tips tricks would be awesome

thanks

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I wouldn't suggest it as the pieces will jam up as the falls out come out. Is hand cutting an option? Otherwise, you should find someone that can die cut them.

J Hill Designs

a long time ago we did this with thick construction paper - masked it with low tack transfer, cut the non-masked side JUST enough to allow them to pop out

johnnysigns

Thin styrene may work also, but you'll likely have to strip the parts out and that may not be feasible with a complicated design.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
a long time ago we did this with thick construction paper - masked it with low tack transfer, cut the non-masked side JUST enough to allow them to pop out

This. You may want 2 layers of application tape just for the extra thickness, this is how I used to cut .020 styrene on a CNC router. Same principal though.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Unless you have a lifetime supply of blades the last thing you ever want to do is cut paper on a plotter with a blade designed to cut vinyl. Paper is incredibly abrasive and will take the tip off a plotter blade is short order. Since it's the tip that does the cutting, the blade is now dull.