• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting plotter converted into LED laser cutter, possible...?

hi,

wondering if anyone convert his/her cutting plotter to led laser cutter, especially for thick rubber vinyl.

i know it´s a dangerous to play with a strong laser, but isn´t it a bit easier to turn your machine into cutting beast, rather than buy a new machine?

thanks for passing by.

J Hill Designs

probably pretty easy (in theory) -

figure out how to mount it first,

then use the power that tells the carriage to drop to instead turn on the laser

hi

I thought something like this, but for cutting plotters like summa, not table plotters.

this video is from 2010, there must be a lot of interesting things since then.

[video=youtube;PW4Ft8C8xq4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW4Ft8C8xq4[/video]

jfiscus

Rap Master
It would be pretty darn hard to use an existing plotter/rip convert into a laser. There is just so much proprietary firmware, etc that isn't public knowledge of how to control it.

You are going to be better off with a laser cutter running on a flatbed surface. you could probably canibilize a broken / outdated plotter for some of the parts, but then you've only got an X-axis and you're going to have to add a y-axis to the mix. 3D printers / laser engraver message boards are where I would begin if I was you. Most of them are run off of open source software and the parts are "common" and available.

Have fun if you do try it!
It is worth it - we are currently building and selling our own 3D printers after buying a couple of P.O.S. printers.

hi,

i´m not an inventor, i just like my plotter to become a perfect machine for my needs.

i wonder why someone prefer buying a new machine, rather than upgrade the older loved one.

i like this one:

[video=youtube;jK5WyQa6PoQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK5WyQa6PoQ[/video]

GVP

Just a comment - all the major laser producers like Epilog,Trotec, etc state that laser cutting PVC is a no-no. Releases all kinds of nasty things, the least of which would damage the machine. Of course, I see a few ads appearing for pvc-free films - be interested to see if/how they cut?

LeLuni

It's a silly idea, but if you like to experiment and tinker with things then go for it.

Air assist and air evacuation is essential, especially if you want to cut rubber-based materials. Even then, it stinks and is not something you'd want to try at home or in closed quarters. The other poster is correct about PVC also.

Your time would be better spent making a cnc flatbed with a drag knife attachment.