• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Cutting Printed PVC into shapes...

fine point

Hi all. I have a question that might sound very basic or flat out stupid for some of you.

Recently, a client showed us what they expect us to make for their future jobs, and some of them are cut out direct-print pvc.

They are cut into shapes of "speech bubbles" and "thought bubbles". I didn't think much about it first but later thought "how the heck the router cut exactly where it needs to cut??"

If it's a printed media, you print it with registration marks and let your cutter read the mark and cut. But how about the router? Do you have to set the cut origin manually and start cutting? Or CNC reads some kind of registration marks too??

Thanks!

GB2

Old Member
Yes that is correct, registration marks are printed and the router has the ability to read them just like a vinyl plotter and cut in the right spot. You can do the same thing even if you don't have a direct to substrate printer, you can print on vinyl with the correct marks, apply to the PVC and then rout them out. The other thing you can do of course is precut the shapes, plot vinyl and apply it to the shapes.

ikarasu

Not every router can do it - the cheaper models can't... The router needs a camera. Likely if you didn't know your router could do it, it unfortunately probably doesn't.

GB2

Old Member
Yes that is correct, registration marks are printed and the router has the ability to read them just like a vinyl plotter and cut in the right spot. You can do the same thing even if you don't have a direct to substrate printer, you can print on vinyl with the correct marks, apply to the PVC and then rout them out. The other thing you can do of course is precut the shapes, plot vinyl and apply it to the shapes.
Yes, I should have also mentioned that not all stock routers are capable of doing this, you must have the accessory for your router that is able to read the registration marks and your router software must be capable of handling this workflow. In addition to the router head, many router manufacturers also can provide a knife head for cutting certain materials instead of routing them.

fine point

ikarasu

Our belt flatbed sucks at double sided.. at least for perfect registration.

We have cut stuff then used printed vinyl - we do a few double sided 10mil coroplasts, or aluminum - we just print the design, applly it and then trim away the excess.

That's fine for a few signs though, but if you'll be doing lots , or they require substrate printing I'd sub it out.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
That's very impressive! Are they printed on both sides? I don't even know how to print double side perfectly...

Yes those are double sided. They key is to have near and far registration. Maybe we'll make a video on how we do and how we set up our files. It helps a lot to have a true flatbed for stuff like this.

Were pretty accurate with our front to back registration, and what we miss, an eigth inch of bleed corrects.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Our belt flatbed sucks at double sided.. at least for perfect registration.

We have cut stuff then used printed vinyl - we do a few double sided 10mil coroplasts, or aluminum - we just print the design, applly it and then trim away the excess.

That's fine for a few signs though, but if you'll be doing lots , or they require substrate printing I'd sub it out.
What machine do you have? Or FB750 is darn near exact even on non square panels as long as we set it up right.

KSTrooper

Wrapper, designer, illustrator
At our shop we rout the shape first, then print a template on our flatbed printer table to match the shape. Then place the piece on the template and direct print on the part. Works great for us.

Chase

New Printers for Christmas!
At our shop we rout the shape first, then print a template on our flatbed printer table to match the shape. Then place the piece on the template and direct print on the part. Works great for us.

Sounds like something Id like to achieve. Would love some details.