Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting Stainless

Discussion in 'CNC Routing & Laser Cutting' started by MVIP, May 27, 2006.

1. MVIP

MVIP Active Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Has anyone attempted to cut stainless steel on a CNC router?

Tags:
  2. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    What kind of stainless are you wanting to router??

3. Barry

Barry Active Member

May 6, 2004
    I think your probably going to have a hard time with stainless. I have some stuff that I get laser cut and it looks really nice.

4. Geary

Geary Very Active Member

I used to sub out jobs like this to a shop that did my CNC stuff. Once I had to mill out some letters in a sheet of .060 stainless that was to be used for a face of a backlit sign with plex behind it....(gluing centers to the plex) maybe some of you have seen this application. (?) It's really cool.

The trick, I observed, is to go VERY slow and make sure the coolant is monitored carefully. As you may know, carbide tools are great for cutting just about everything but you have to really watch it's sensitivity to extreme temp changes....otherwise you could mess up the piece and possibly hurt yourself in the process by literally exploding the tool.

~Gear

5. Barry

Barry Active Member

May 6, 2004
    A waterjet would be another good option...