• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting Stainless

Barry

I think your probably going to have a hard time with stainless. I have some stuff that I get laser cut and it looks really nice.

Geary

I used to sub out jobs like this to a shop that did my CNC stuff. Once I had to mill out some letters in a sheet of .060 stainless that was to be used for a face of a backlit sign with plex behind it....(gluing centers to the plex) maybe some of you have seen this application. (?) It's really cool.

The trick, I observed, is to go VERY slow and make sure the coolant is monitored carefully. As you may know, carbide tools are great for cutting just about everything but you have to really watch it's sensitivity to extreme temp changes....otherwise you could mess up the piece and possibly hurt yourself in the process by literally exploding the tool.

~Gear