• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Cutting tabs on aluminum

Sortrac

Hello! I am in the process to converting my shop to be able to make my own large format lighted signs instead of outsourcing them. I am pretty settled on what I need, but I just can't find one of the items on my list! What machines or press can I get to cut the tabs on the side my aluminum walls (for channel letters) ?

Also, If anyone has any advice for starting in house fabrication, please let me know!

Thank you,

Sortrac

Here's a photo of what I mean. Might be easier with a reference !

Attachments

• tab cut.jpg
    tab cut.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 204

Billct2

Sortrac

Duck, you are about to get some advice...:eek:
Don't know why it's hard to find, same places that carry the other stuff you say you have lined up would have them.
Here's one https://www.amazon.com/Ving-Notching-Notcher-Machine-Channel/dp/B073QN6335
or for something better for a beginner, https://www.amazon.com/Duct-Notcher...5fdc4&pd_rd_wg=5DQXX&pd_rd_i=B01NAXQ44P&psc=1
I used a similar tool many times making channel letters when it wasn't as specialized a trade or as regulated
yeah my bad, as dumb as it is i live in a french provence, and didn't look up the term "notcher" . just kept searching for "tab cutter" haha Thanks for the info!

Any of the larger sign suppliers can get you in touch with a source. The sign supplier can be your biggest partner when it comes to this kind of stuff, some of the salesman have either worked in sign shops for years or have been selling to shops for years. Good luck.

signbrad

I remember constant sore and sometimes bloody fingers and an aching back from building channel letters back in the day without today's automated equipment. The only power-assisted tools we had were a shear, a slitter and a notcher. Mind-numbing work in a cold shop till I never wanted to see a pop rivet again. Only getting warm when I went into the neon room to get the finished glass. Once I got free of all that, the only channel letters I wanted to see were the shrink-wrapped kind from the wholesaler.

You know how military service is for some guys—proud to have survived the experience but glad when it ended and would never want to do it again? So it is with me and building channel letters—I went through a divorce from that kind of work and we are never getting back together—ever. If you can do it and have fun you are to be commended!

Brad in Kansas City

John Miller

The duct notcher that Bill shows works great. We've used one for many years. I suggest you start with one of those. The next step would be a one with a step pedal that will do about a foot of notches in one step. I can remember my first channel letter job. Not knowing anything about making them and with no internet we jumped in with both feet. The type style was Devine Bold, (no need to practice on a san serif, hell no) Well we did get the job done, but not before referring to channel letter fabrication as " letter wrestling "
:dog42:

spectrum maine

Hello! I am in the process to converting my shop to be able to make my own large format lighted signs instead of outsourcing them. I am pretty settled on what I need, but I just can't find one of the items on my list! What machines or press can I get to cut the tabs on the side my aluminum walls (for channel letters) ?

Also, If anyone has any advice for starting in house fabrication, please let me know!

Thank you,

you need a notcher. advice get a hand knotcher first. spend the 1600 dollars on marketing your new capabilities. i cant count how many shops i have seen one of those dinasours sitting in a corner, barely used. a few sets of letters a year is no big deal with a hand notcher. you may find like many others that wholesale letters are a pretty good idea.