Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting the backing (liner) on vinyl without cutting the vinyl?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by phototec, Oct 22, 2012.

1. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    Cutting the backing (liner) on vinyl without cutting the vinyl?

Attended the Mutoh wrap training class in Dallas in 2010 with Justin Pate, and he used a special knife to cut out the center section of the backing material before installing the vinyl, creating a center hinge area, while leaving the backing on the rest of the vinyl.

I can't remember the name of the knife (cutter), does anyone know the name of this type of cutter or where to get one?

Thanks

Tags:
  2. signs+banners

signs+banners New Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Olfa makes a liner cutting tool that works great. I would be willing to bet there are several MM here who carry them.

3. I went to the same course in Vancouver, BC and when Justin was hinging the vinyl he just ripped it....said the backing would not leave any dust specs!

4. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    I think he called it a "zippy"

5. tylercrum

tylercrum Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Texas
    Here's what I use:
    http://www.3m.com/brands/scotch/cutters/index.html
    It's gift wrap cutter, not what it's intended for obviously, but you can get one at wal-mart for a couple bucks. I use it all the time for cutting the backer without cutting the vinyl and it does an awesome job.
    I've also heard that you can use a seam ripper. http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Seam-Ripper-5-1-2/dp/B0001DSIVY
    I read that in Rob Ivers' book but never really tried it. He said to use put the ball against the adhesive of the vinyl and just slide it up and cut. Like I said, never tried that, but the gift wrap cutter works awesome!

6. phototec

May 23, 2008
    Belton

Here is a video of Justin Pate, and he is shown using the cutter and I think he calls it a "smitty"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZMvEG6oYCU

Anyone know what this "smitty" is?

7. pjfmeister

pjfmeister Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Missouri
  8. Its called a "Snitty" My supplier sells them, and I have also seen them in sewing stores.

9. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    I have been using the 3M cutters too but I am switching over to the Vescom
    cutter from SignWarehouse. Gene

10. laserman70

laserman70 Very Active Member

Dec 25, 2007
    usa

Attached Files:

11. phototec

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    I went looking for the 3M Scotch paper cutter, Wally World didn't have them, so I went to Office Max, they had the Scotch paper cutter for $5.99 ea, and right next to them they had the Westcott brand paper cutter for $3.00 ea. and the Westcott says it has a Titanium blade that lasts 3 times longer than stainless steel.

So, I grabbed several of the Westcott brand paper cutters for $3.00 ea, seamed like a good deal and anytime I have an opportunity to NOT buy from 3M is a good thing!

I hope this info can help someone else?

:thumb:

Attached Files:

12. phototec

May 23, 2008
    Belton
  13. jasonx

jasonx Very Active Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Australia
    You wont regret it. I use it all the time to create hinges on bonnets etc. No paper tearing nice clean cuts.

14. 4R Graphics

4R Graphics Active Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Yah the yellow tool is expensive but I love the one I have the metal parts that are up against the adhesive are teflon coated so it wont stick.

The one signwarhouse has is nice also and half the price but I like the yellow tool better because of the teflon coating.

15. CP Signs

CP Signs Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Stittsville
    Well, I've been using a little plastic envelope opener for years and it's awesome. And about $1 each,lol. I can take a picture of it when I get to the shop if you want to see it.

16. CP Signs

CP Signs Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Stittsville
    Sorry, bad picture.

Attached Files: