• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting the backing (liner) on vinyl without cutting the vinyl?

phototec

Cutting the backing (liner) on vinyl without cutting the vinyl?

Attended the Mutoh wrap training class in Dallas in 2010 with Justin Pate, and he used a special knife to cut out the center section of the backing material before installing the vinyl, creating a center hinge area, while leaving the backing on the rest of the vinyl.

I can't remember the name of the knife (cutter), does anyone know the name of this type of cutter or where to get one?

Thanks

archerdesign

I went to the same course in Vancouver, BC and when Justin was hinging the vinyl he just ripped it....said the backing would not leave any dust specs!

tylercrum

Here's what I use:
http://www.3m.com/brands/scotch/cutters/index.html
It's gift wrap cutter, not what it's intended for obviously, but you can get one at wal-mart for a couple bucks. I use it all the time for cutting the backer without cutting the vinyl and it does an awesome job.
I've also heard that you can use a seam ripper. http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Seam-Ripper-5-1-2/dp/B0001DSIVY
I read that in Rob Ivers' book but never really tried it. He said to use put the ball against the adhesive of the vinyl and just slide it up and cut. Like I said, never tried that, but the gift wrap cutter works awesome!

laserman70

Attachments

• 31FgTxRu90L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31FgTxRu90L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 108

phototec

I went looking for the 3M Scotch paper cutter, Wally World didn't have them, so I went to Office Max, they had the Scotch paper cutter for $5.99 ea, and right next to them they had the Westcott brand paper cutter for $3.00 ea. and the Westcott says it has a Titanium blade that lasts 3 times longer than stainless steel.

So, I grabbed several of the Westcott brand paper cutters for $3.00 ea, seamed like a good deal and anytime I have an opportunity to NOT buy from 3M is a good thing!

I hope this info can help someone else?

:thumb:

Attachments

• Scotch Paper Cutter.jpg
    Scotch Paper Cutter.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Westcott Paper Cutter.jpg
    Westcott Paper Cutter.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 96

4R Graphics

Yah the yellow tool is expensive but I love the one I have the metal parts that are up against the adhesive are teflon coated so it wont stick.

The one signwarhouse has is nice also and half the price but I like the yellow tool better because of the teflon coating.

CP Signs

Well, I've been using a little plastic envelope opener for years and it's awesome. And about $1 each,lol. I can take a picture of it when I get to the shop if you want to see it.