• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CVJ150-160

CanuckSigns

I am in the market for a new printer, I have run Rolands all my life and have no experience with any other brands. I've narrowed my search down to either a CVJ150-160 or a HP Latex with a stand alone cutter. I will not be looking at another Roland.

We currently run a roland print/cut machine and have found very few times that a seperate cutter would be better, our workload and or lead times don't call for super fast turnaround, so i'm not really factoring that into my decision.

I was hoping someone running a CVJ-150 can tell me a few things:

1. reliability, I know Mimaki has a reputation of building workhorses, is the CVJ the same?

2. Print speed, the website lists the maximum print speed of 500 sq/ft hr, but what speed do you get running vinyl at a day to day resolution?

3. Workflow, we have been working with versaworks for 12 years, it's extremely easy to use, is the rip that comes with the Mimaki similar? Our current workflow is design in illustrator, save as .eps, bring into versaworks and set up copies etc.

Thanks guys, I want to get opinions from unbiased users rather than from the sales rep.

PrintTrader

Merchant Member
I am in the market for a new printer, I have run Rolands all my life and have no experience with any other brands. I've narrowed my search down to either a CVJ150-160 or a HP Latex with a stand alone cutter. I will not be looking at another Roland.

We currently run a roland print/cut machine and have found very few times that a seperate cutter would be better, our workload and or lead times don't call for super fast turnaround, so i'm not really factoring that into my decision.

I was hoping someone running a CVJ-150 can tell me a few things:

1. reliability, I know Mimaki has a reputation of building workhorses, is the CVJ the same?

2. Print speed, the website lists the maximum print speed of 500 sq/ft hr, but what speed do you get running vinyl at a day to day resolution?

3. Workflow, we have been working with versaworks for 12 years, it's extremely easy to use, is the rip that comes with the Mimaki similar? Our current workflow is design in illustrator, save as .eps, bring into versaworks and set up copies etc.

Thanks guys, I want to get opinions from unbiased users rather than from the sales rep.

we have cjv150-160 with OEM bulk inks

1. Yes
2. Subjectively, 120 sqft p/hr on adhesives, maybe 160 on banner. But ours is setup in 8 color (CMYK LC LM LK OR). If you went with double CMYK (4 color) you would be about 30% faster
3. very limited, but just fine & very easy for for that you described

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have installed about 25 of these printers in the field and installed many more of the CVJ30 series which came before it. The CJV150 series is a solid machine. As far as reliability I can't say much as they have not been out long enough to get a good read but so far they seem to be as reliable as the CJV30 series or better. The new head is more reliable and has more features for keeping the nozzles firing for longer. They also replaced the plastic parts that broke all the time on the CJV30 series and made them metal which is much better. They seem to have learned from the CJV30 series and made the CJV150 series based on what they learned which tells me they didn't just push out a new watered down model for the sales that some companies do.

You should be able to get around 200 - 250 sq ft/hr at 720 x 720 if you have the right profiles, the alignments are well done and you go with the CMYK x 2 setup. I recently setup two of these printers with CMYK x 2 and one was 8 color. The CMYK x 2 setup printed better more vibrant colors at a faster speed. Go figure.

You can use Rasterlink just like you used Versaworks. Save as an eps and then just bring it into Rasterlink and it will recognize the CutContour spot color as the cut path. It will be very similar to using Versaworks. You also won't have to change your old files! You also can use the FineCut plugin which allows you to send jobs over to Rasterlink directly from illustrator and also allows you to cut regular, non-print and cut jobs, straight from illustrator.

We go up against Roland dealers all the time and almost always beat them with the Mimaki CJV series.

PS - I'm not a sales guy I am a tech. I just saw that last part in your original message. Not trying to sell anything!

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

I have installed about 25 of these printers in the field and installed many more of the CVJ30 series which came before it. The CJV150 series is a solid machine. As far as reliability I can't say much as they have not been out long enough to get a good read but so far they seem to be as reliable as the CJV30 series or better. The new head is more reliable and has more features for keeping the nozzles firing for longer. They also replaced the plastic parts that broke all the time on the CJV30 series and made them metal which is much better. They seem to have learned from the CJV30 series and made the CJV150 series based on what they learned which tells me they didn't just push out a new watered down model for the sales that some companies do.

You should be able to get around 200 - 250 sq ft/hr at 720 x 720 if you have the right profiles, the alignments are well done and you go with the CMYK x 2 setup. I recently setup two of these printers with CMYK x 2 and one was 8 color. The CMYK x 2 setup printed better more vibrant colors at a faster speed. Go figure.

You can use Rasterlink just like you used Versaworks. Save as an eps and then just bring it into Rasterlink and it will recognize the CutContour spot color as the cut path. It will be very similar to using Versaworks. You also won't have to change your old files! You also can use the FineCut plugin which allows you to send jobs over to Rasterlink directly from illustrator and also allows you to cut regular, non-print and cut jobs, straight from illustrator.

We go up against Roland dealers all the time and almost always beat them with the Mimaki CJV series.

PS - I'm not a sales guy I am a tech. I just saw that last part in your original message. Not trying to sell anything!

Thanks! this is extremly helpful!