Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyan overspray - gotta finish a print for tomorrow

Discussion in 'Roland' started by wwpro, Jul 30, 2012.

1. wwpro

wwpro Member

Apr 21, 2009
    hi there

I have an annoying problem with the cyan over spraying on my prints. Was reading about another user with a similar problem and tried everything that was suggested there with no improvement.

I'm using Versaworks (up-to-date) and a SP300V with OEM inks. Did a manual cleaning, checked for lint and there's nothing I can see.

Attaching test print pic and a few images so you can see what's wrong and try to help me get this fixed

thanks as usual folks !

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. wwpro

wwpro Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Well, that thing in the images happened printing in Standard quality , I made a test on high speed and printed like a dream. What's the deal ?

3. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    i had some overspraying disappear that was plaguing my printer for months by upgrading the firmware. also, to tests comparing variable dot vs non-variable dot rips.

4. 4R Graphics

4R Graphics Active Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Not sure we had similar problems with our old JV3 printed like crap unless it was highspeed never could figure it out but hey if you get good prints at high speed why slow down. Time is money.

5. wwpro

wwpro Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I don't know, it can be a profile problem, because I've printed vinyl on high speed with banding on the black, and this banner was a mess with cyan all over it in standard quality, but it printed great with really dark black, zero banding ay high speed.

Some other jobs with vinyl had some issues with banding too, so gotta keep trying profiles and learn how to tune the machine, and then learn how to fine-tune it :)

6. Banners Signs Etc.

Banners Signs Etc. Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    get into service mode and calibrate...also slow down the head speed

7. Banners Signs Etc.

Banners Signs Etc. Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    Service mode

With Sub power off press quickly
    down
    right
    left
    up
    right
    down
    left
    THEN press and hold
    left down right
    then sub power on

Write it down on a post-it and wedge somewhere in your printer

8. the graphics co

the graphics co Active Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    This looks like a profile issue, your test print looks perfect so i don't think it is a problem with the machine.

Did you try a few different banner profiles in versa-works?

9. artbot

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    on machines with voltage related overspray, the test print will be perfect. test prints are non-variable so that you can get a good look a the nozzles. that's it.

10. jbogart

jbogart New Member

Jul 14, 2011
    We've had similar problems with our Roland printers on occassion. On the Sc-540, we detrmined that the encoder strip was dirty. On our SJ-1000, it was a profile problem.

11. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Looks like plain ol' static to me.

What's your head height set at and what are the air conditions where you're at ?? You are pretty far south of most of us.

12. wwpro

wwpro Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Thanks for the reminder, but it have it printed and it's on the top of the control panel, just in case I need it.

I don't use the service menu as much as I should because I can do more damage than good, we're still "getting to know each other" :)

13. wwpro

wwpro Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Gino, I thought it could be static too, but not sure.
    Is winter here, I have an AC unit in the shop but I keep it at around 22 Celsius, and the humidity is high this time of the year but the AC kinda compensate for that.

I taped a few dryer sheets touching the media in the back, and I need to properly ground the machine which I have no idea how to do it. If some of you can tell me how to run a wire ground properly I'd do it tonight

14. artbot

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    the best way to tell if you do or do not have a static issue is to get a piece of media that is giving you the issue. get a piece of soft cloth and agressively wipe half of it. the area you wipe will run vertical to the direction of the print. not do a test print. by wiping the media, you are knocking off any charge while leaving it on the other side. do a test print that runs across both wiped and unwiped portions of the test piece. if they both look fine, no static. if the unwiped side shows issues... you have a static issue in the shop.

15. wwpro

wwpro Member

Apr 21, 2009
    will try that for sure, thanks man !