• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

data recovery service??

Locals Find!

My kid tripped over a cord near my computer knocking my external hard drive to the ground. I believe it experienced a head crash.

I thought I had backups but the art files are mysteriously missing. If anyone knows of a good recovery service that they have used before please let me know. As of this moment I am closed for business till I recover this drive.

Locals Find!

I just got a quote from one service of up to $8000 to recover my data. I am seriously beyond f*ckd at this point. I might have to close the doors for good.

So please if anyone knows of a recovery company that is moderately affordable and won't require me to sell a kidney please tell me. I know some on here don't like me but, this is me humbly begging for help.

iSign

ok, time for kinder gentler iSign...

I'm sorry you're beyond f*ckd at this point Addie...

no, really... I'll quit trying to be funny... this does suck & I have also had to look for a similar service & wasn't too thrilled... but one of the times my IT guy invested some of my money in a data recovery service, it was also for an external HD, and the company (Western Digital, or Maxtor, I forget which now) that made it had there own data recovery service & although in my case, they were unsuccessful... it was reasonably priced... so you might want to check that if you haaven't already...

Locals Find!

ok, time for kinder gentler iSign...

I'm sorry you're beyond f*ckd at this point Addie...

no, really... I'll quit trying to be funny... this does suck & I have also had to look for a similar service & wasn't too thrilled... but one of the times my IT guy invested some of my money in a data recovery service, it was also for an external HD, and the company (Western Digital, or Maxtor, I forget which now) that made it had there own data recovery service & although in my case, they were unsuccessful... it was reasonably priced... so you might want to check that if you haaven't already...

That is something I can work with thanks Doug. Its a Hitachi so I am going to google them now and find out if they have a service. Thanks again.

I will try to keep you posted.

Rojo

I used DriveSavers a couple years ago. Got all my data back. Wasn't cheap but nowhere near 8k. How fast you want it done greatly affects the cost.
I found that they would negotiate their price if they thought they weren't going to get the job.

tcorn1965

Addie,
I am not sure where you got that price but it is generally about $1600.00 and if data is not retrievable then your out shipping only. Try this...it does work, occasionally (I have been in the IT field since 1998), stick it in the freezer tonight. In the morning hook it up and pull the files off...I suggest having the folder/file/file_name ready and go quickly to it and then get important files off 1st, etc. Since you say only some files are gone I suspect the freezer trick will work.

Terry

2B

Addie,
I am not sure where you got that price but it is generally about $1600.00 and if data is not retrievable then your out shipping only. Try this...it does work, occasionally (I have been in the IT field since 1998), stick it in the freezer tonight. In the morning hook it up and pull the files off...I suggest having the folder/file/file_name ready and go quickly to it and then get important files off 1st, etc. Since you say only some files are gone I suspect the freezer trick will work.

Terry

+1 for the freezer,

Locals Find!

Addie,

Terry

There is some misunderstanding here. I have two hard drives one external that fell and one backup. The backup powers my desktop and should have had copies of my artwork files on it. They are missing, everything else is there. That drive appears to be running normally. I am not sure what happened to those files as this computer is used by the household not the office. I usually carry my files back and forth because of my office layout there is little to no security for my computer.

The external drive is the one that I know had the working day to day files on it and I can't access them as I am fairly certain the drive experienced a head crash. It started making clicks when powered on after the incident. So I am looking to recover that drive.

iSign

backups mean SECOND COPIES...

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SECOND COPIES

...meaning don't just make sure some automated backup program SEEMS to be working.. MAKE SURE you have 2 of everything... ALWAYS

Locals Find!

backups mean SECOND COPIES...

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SECOND COPIES

...meaning don't just make sure some automated backup program SEEMS to be working.. MAKE SURE you have 2 of everything... ALWAYS

I thought I had them. I had copied over the data the old fashioned way of opening both drives and moving the files over using copy and paste.

I don't have any backup software I do everything myself painstakingly and now I really wish I had used a backup software also.

tcorn1965

Like Doug said...Two copies always...I have three on art...Only because I work for someone that excuses are not a valid reason.

Terry

slipperyfrog

If you drive will turn on and you can get some access you may be able to recover some files. The more you turn it on and off or try to access it though the more you will lose.

I have had to salvage files on a couple of external and internal drives. Before sending it out try this --- Restorer Ultimate.

http://www.bitmart.net/

It saved enough of my files that I didn't need the rest to go out to data recovery. It will find files that windows can no longer read. Give it a try. It is a lot cheaper than sending the drive out without trying.

Locals Find!

Well I have some good news. I reached out to some IT friends of mine on facebook and they loaned me some programs to recover missing files from a hard drive. I found my backups. They aren't as current as the drive that failed but current enough I am not going to lose the last 15 years of my life.

As it stands I am only going to lose a month or two. I can recover from that as the last 2 months have been slow enough I can recreate the files from memory or by just starting over entirely.

I want to thank everyone for your help and as I am going to take this as a sign from GOD that I shouldn't be such a douche bag to members on here. I think he made all this happen to teach me some humility.

So I am going to take this opportunity to apologize for everyone I have every pissed off, insulted, argued with, lied to and just about every other stupid thing I have done. I hope you can all eventually forgive me.

:signs101::U Rock::thankyou::notworthy: