• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Datasheet / tech info about the DX2 printhead? Exists?

ipsilondev

Hello everyone !

i'll start saying that i'm not into printers (until now), i do software, robotics, electronics and IoT stuff with arduino's, FPGA etc.. so my current experience with the printing industry is 0. Got my attention recently that there was a cheap solvent capable printhead named DX2, (that is around $150 usd in the chinese e-commerce sites) so i'm looking to build my own open soure plotter from 0, doing reverse engineering . I know what this means (i have knowledge in electronics, motors, drivers, etc..) and actually, i made some pogress based on the information i could find in the electronic wiring of the FJ-50 mainboard used in the SJ-600 & SJ-500 roland series plotters. The things is, now i know how to wire the printhead, but i have no idea what kind of signal the mainboard generate for this pins (color, NCHGA, HdSerClk, HeadStd etc..). This signal, the base one, is generated by the FPGA and then goes to other circuits.

So my request, is any technical info that exists about the DX2 printhead, what kind of signal expects to find plus what kind of pressure from the ink pump. those are the 2 critical things i mostly need. I downloaded a firmware from the roland website, but is in binary format, so i don't think i could figure out something except i could get my hands to a firmware source code files.

I have no idea if this info actually exists, my search was not successful, and buying a FJ-50 board that costs up to 1000+ usd to make the reverse engineering doesn't really worth it (i prefer to drop the project in that case).

I'm willing to pay for this info if is needed, so let me know if anyone has any tip about this !

Many Thanks in advance!

studio10

Hi,
have no information regarding the signal. About the pump, do not know how much underpressure it makes, it is peristaltic pump, its capacity, for example is 50-60 ml/min. It is used mainly for cleaning printhead and flush ink lines.
If I can help have some service manuals for Roland&Mutoh DX2, DX4 based printers, with some circuit diagramas. Can send it wia dropbox, send me mail if you need it.

ipsilondev

Hi,
have no information regarding the signal. About the pump, do not know how much underpressure it makes, it is peristaltic pump, its capacity, for example is 50-60 ml/min. It is used mainly for cleaning printhead and flush ink lines.
If I can help have some service manuals for Roland&Mutoh DX2, DX4 based printers, with some circuit diagramas. Can send it wia dropbox, send me mail if you need it.

Thanks ! the manual are always useful ! i'll send you a PM with my email :)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The DX2 print head stopped being manufactured about 4-5 years ago. Any DX2 head you find out there will be one of the last ones to exist. Epson does not release technical info on their heads so you are going to have a hard time finding anything other than reverse engineering a mother board from a machine that uses them. Epson is very protective of their head technology.

ipsilondev

The DX2 print head stopped being manufactured about 4-5 years ago. Any DX2 head you find out there will be one of the last ones to exist. Epson does not release technical info on their heads so you are going to have a hard time finding anything other than reverse engineering a mother board from a machine that uses them. Epson is very protective of their head technology.

:( it a shame. it doesn't worth to invest the time to do this if is not manufactured anymore (i though it was still manufactured by chinese third parties).

do you know any site that will list the heads that are discontinued? (i'm considering the possibility to use the R330 / R290 / L805 head as replacement)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
:( it a shame. it doesn't worth to invest the time to do this if is not manufactured anymore (i though it was still manufactured by chinese third parties).

do you know any site that will list the heads that are discontinued? (i'm considering the possibility to use the R330 / R290 / L805 head as replacement)

Right now the DX4 print heads and beyond are still being manufactured. The DX4 heads should be around for a long time as very many machines and brands use them so there is a lot more source material out there for them. The DX5 print head is probably the most used print head when it comes to being used in non licensed printer manufactures. You just have to be careful because Epson makes like 10 different versions of the DX5 head that all have the same specs but have different electronics on board to keep you from using them. An example would be the DX5 heads made for standard desktop printers will only print out to about 24" before malfunctioning. They do this so that you can't take them out of the cheaper printers and put them in the more expensive ones. The same print head in a $300 desktop printer is sold for $2800 for solvent large format ones. It's a racket.