• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dead PC...any ideas?

ChiknNutz

Recently built a PC using all good components from Newegg (Antec case & PS, ASUS mobo, Intel Quad core processor, etc.). For no apparent reason, it just crapped out one day. I used it one night, shut it down, then it simply wouldn't boot at all...no POST beeps, nothing. However, it does POWER on with all fans going, but nothing to the screen whatsoever. Monitor checks out okay. I even sent the MOBO back and had ASUS look it over (and I bent some pins in the process of boxing it up, what a dope, so they fixed that), so I can't imagine it's the MOBO. I'm leaning towards processor or RAM...anyway I can check either of these w/o placing them in another PC? This is a fairly spendy build and is only a few months old. What do I check next? Shouldn't I at least get some beeps even if it is either of these? Could it be the video card? Thanks for any assistance.

biznitch

check your ram, had the same problem with my computer, I'd turn it on and get nothing, had a bad stick, replaced it and works great now

Flame

Power supply sounds like it's still functioning... eh?

Monitor cable? :p

CPU could be fried.... heard it's highly unlikely... but trying to toss out ideas...

Replicator

Chris,

I know it's a pain in the ARSE, but just ship it down to Harddrives Northwest in Bellevue and have them fix it and send it back to you.

They're good, and local . . .

SignBurst PCs

Check your power supply. You can use a multimeter or buy meter specifically for power supplies.

That would be my first choice, but video card is a definite possibility.

S'N'S

Ram, take one stick out at a time and try to switch on.
Had a faulty stick in one of my computers.
If that don't work try disconnecting cd / dvd / floppy drives one at a time.
I had this problem with a faulty disc drive.
Could also be your hard drive, connect to another computer and test.

Computers...great when they're working, otherwise just a pain in the butt.

OldPaint

take it down to simplest connection only.

POWER SUPPLY TO MOBO, nothing else conected only main h/d and monitor.
1 stick a ram. power up, if nothing switch ram.
switch h/d. VIDEO CARD ON BOARD or slot?

jiarby

PS to MOBO.. 1 stick of RAM. Does it POST?
Disconnect everything... no video, hdd, etc..

Likely a bad motherboard. Made bad by a voltage spike, or grounding to chassis???
mobo gets my vote.

ChiknNutz

Like I said, I have had the MOBO tested by Asus. I've pretty much done all tests that have been suggested...disconnect everything, power up, then start adding things and re-power up....all to no avail. Video is separate card (PCI-X) and MOBO has no built-in video (Asus P5B). Problem is this PC has parts incompatible with my other PCs, so I can't easily swap stuff out for testing purposes. I have not specifically tested the Power Supply as in for actual voltage, but it is supplying power. All fans are on and the DVD door opens and closes. One odd thing, the RESET button will not do anything...only the main power button. I know it did work before all this started. Also the video card has a fan and that one seems to be on high...definitely louder and spinning faster than it used to.

sarge

take it to the guy in b-town .. if it was me i would drive to federal way and take in to infotec .. you can screw around with this and costing you more in lost production .. when you bent the pins over i am sure that wasnt very good .. you can pull the power supply out of one box and put it in that one just to rule that out .. but it does sound like a main board issue . if the reset is not working .. but then again i am wondering more toward the ram .. but imho get it into the shop .. as i reread your last post .. go into the bios and reset it to default .. am wondering if you were screwing around with trying to over clock the cpu

ChiknNutz

No overclocking involved...this was just a good quality design/RIP station that one day crapped out. I built it with good stuff so I wouldn't be doing this. Asus put in a whole new CPU mount when I sent it in. It literally just up and quit working one day after power down...nothing more, nothing less.

Techman

if your power supply is at 300 to 350 wattts.. and it is borderline,, that processor will not boot.

Techman

I am still sticking with the power supply or video card. Both are easy swaps.

Yes.. if that video card has its own power plug,, could be a real good sign.
If I remember right,, that board has a LED near the video slot. It will be red if the video card is not operating correctly.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
this may sound stupid, but do you have a thumb drive plugged in anywhere?? i've found that some versions of windows won't load if you have a thumb drive plugged in...

choucove

Any USB hard drive, including thumb drive, may cause the computer not to boot into Windows (depending upon the boot order in CMOS) but would still show the introduction screen when the computer is POSTing initially, such as the mobo manufacturer's logo or the detailed POST information. If none of this is coming up, then it sounds like a couple things:

If it were memory, there would be a POST signal being blasted at you (of course, depending upon if you have an internal speaker connected to your mobo. If not, then that's all entirely possible!)

If there is absolutely no video showing, and you mentioned the video card fan is running at full speed suddenly, then it sounds like it could be a bad video card. I have had a card be shorted from a slightly loose connection and arcing with the case. In that situation it also screwed up the motherboard, but anyways, that would be my first suggestion is try checking your video card in another computer.

If that doesn't work, I would imagine the power supply connection (either the 24-pin ATX connection or the 4-pin ATX additional connection) may be dead for some reason. Harder to test, but possible of course by replacing it in another computer, or a different power supply in that computer.

Finally, I've had the same happen as well from a failed processor; no POST signals, nothing on the screen just sat there with the fans running. However, this probably isn't the cause, but if so would be the hardest to test.

ChiknNutz

Yes.. if that video card has its own power plug,, could be a real good sign.
If I remember right,, that board has a LED near the video slot. It will be red if the video card is not operating correctly.

The MOBO has a LED near the bottom RH corner (as you are looking at it in the case) but none near the video card. The vid card does not have a separate plug, it is in a PCI Express slot. The LED is on and green.

The case in an Antec Sonata III with a 500 watt PS. The case has a small speaker, and I get no beeps of any kind during startup.

The screen is completely blank....no BIOS messages, not a flicker of life...but the monitor is known good as I just tried it on another PC.