• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dealing with literally crazy people

Robin Canaday

Mythic Signs Portland - General Manager / Owner
So when you get someone who is obviously mentally ill coming in from the street (always walk-ins) and they purport to want to buy signs but it becomes abundantly clear that what they really need is mental help, how do you get them to stop coming back into your shop and disrupting your day? I don't think calling the cops would permanently fix the situation (they'd be back on the street and you'd be a convenient villain for their delusional fantasies.)

Any ideas?

Mosh

Tell them you need a down payment...and make it a big one. I have got rid a few that way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You just tell them.... sorry, but we're closed for the day. We're closed for inventory. We forgot to lock the door. You'll have to leave immediately or security will be out an a minute or two. Thank you. Call back another time.

fresh

We used to have this problem... I think we solved it by being busy, or at least appearing to be busy. Try really hard to not give them any time to talk or engage you in conversation. There is literally a hospital across the street from us, with a large psych ward AND methadone clinic. So we (used to) get a good number of wackos wasting our time all day.

My favorite recent interaction was when my parents had actually stopped by our shop and were helping out a little bit. A young coocoo who has come in before (for who knows what) barges in and immediately asks if this is a family business. I said yes. He threw his arms up, pffed, and loudly exclaimed "GREAT. And I WANTED A JOB." And then stormed out. Um, yeah. Not being family has nothing to do with your employability.

So the more you ignore them, the less fun it is for them to bother you. Eventually they get the hint and leave you alone... But I see you live in Portland, my sister just moved there last year, and she has many funny stories about the locals already, so maybe its just something you need to get used to ;)

peavey123

What mosh said. No lying in that case.

What Gino said is just hilarious. A sign shop with security. HAHA oh man. Who'd fall for that?

You could try being straight-up?? Works for us. I'm the smallest guy here at 6'4" 190lbs. We don't get any trouble. lol Refer them to your competition.

Mosh

Ever watch Portlandia? The locals in Portland ARE exactly like on that show...bunch of hippyish, hipster, wackos!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What mosh said. No lying in that case.

What Gino said is just hilarious. A sign shop with security. HAHA oh man. Who'd fall for that?

You could try being straight-up?? Works for us. I'm the smallest guy here at 6'4" 190lbs. We don't get any trouble. lol Refer them to your competition.

Evidently you did...... :ROFLMAO:

I know there's no security... and you know there's no security, but do you think a coo-coo knows there's no security ??

What does being 6'4" have do do with it ?? Are you insinuating you're going to bully them ?? Now that's funny.

I can see the headlines tomorrow.

6'4" 190lb. man throws mentally handicapped person out the door.... literally and causes cuts, bruises and more head pain to street person who was only questioning him about his line of work. City is suing him and the business in which he WAS employed in suit in defense of this street person. State seeks penalties in the amount of $3,750,000.23.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"Dealing with literally crazy people"
Take a permanent marker, jot down the signs101 url on their arm or forehead and send them to the nearest public library.
Once they log in here they will be right at home with the rest of us.

wayne k
guam usa

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
"dealing with literally crazy people"
take a permanent marker, jot down the signs101 url on their arm or forehead and send them to the nearest public library.
Once they log in here they will be right at home with the rest of us.

Wayne k
guam usa

:roflmao:

Z SIGNS

We don't allow walk ins.Hours are by appointment only.But if we should leave the door unlocked and somebody wanders in "Murphy" chief of security handles it.

images.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Diaz

"We are really busy right now. Would you like to make an appointment? we have an $___per hour consultation fee."

Flame

Ever watch Portlandia? The locals in Portland ARE exactly like on that show...bunch of hippyish, hipster, wackos!!!

Yup! I can attest to this as I do a lot of business in Portland. Very, very, very strange place.

mark in tx

Nice even, low tone of voice.

"You need to go now."

Or keep a rubber fright mask under the counter and put it on and start screaming.

Whichever works best for you.

TheSnowman

I've decided that if you are in a downtown environment, you are gonna get every type under the sun stopping in to see you. We've had the mentally ill, a lady who was at a shop across the street and they wouldn't let her use their toilet, so she came in and DESTROYED ours, along with any kind of clean air we used to have, 10 asphalt guys who have "the other guy" making their stuff for $6/sign, advertising people, foreign college kids selling hand made necklaces, it's basically anyone but a customer. I'm only a one man shop, so I'm in and out a lot, but people are borderline hacked off when I'm not here, even when I tell every person CALL BEFORE YOU COME, and on my window it says "CALL FOR APPOINTMENT".