• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Decal Application Instructions for Customers

RebelRobot

I am playing around with the idea of printing simple instructions on my printed decals (most of these will be smaller size to be applied to vehicle windows by the customers themselves).

Just a few sentences like: Clean the surface of dirt/debris. Apply above x temperature (not sure what x is yet. I'm in Indiana so weather runs the gamut throughout the year).

Is this a waste of time?

Val47

I am playing around with the idea of printing simple instructions on my printed decals (most of these will be smaller size to be applied to vehicle windows by the customers themselves).

Just a few sentences like: Clean the surface of dirt/debris. Apply above x temperature (not sure what x is yet. I'm in Indiana so weather runs the gamut throughout the year).

Is this a waste of time?
Sounds like you've got It. Never hurts to educate your customer. especially when they ask, it's good to be prepared when they ask. There are other threads regarding this very topic. Robert Armerding has a fun thread... Search the forum ;)

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Whatever you do, make sure it’s idiot proof. I seen a post on this forum once where a customer had just glued the decal to their vehicle and not peeled the liner off.

Would also suggest aftercare instructions. How to clean etc. Have had a customer use some weird industrial glass cleaner before that melted the adhesive off (worked essentially like rapid remover)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
1. Clean the surface of dirt/debris.
2. Apply above x temperature
3. Sticky side down (Fred's advice here on S101).
4. Tear, peel & drop it in the dirt, wet the backer before removing, get the glue side stuck to the glue side, or put it on crooked - we'll sell you a new one.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If the customer is applying it then the very first thing that needs to be stated is that the warranty ends the second you hand them the decal.

jadrewitz

It's amazing how something as simple as a sticker/decal can be so complex for someone! I created detailed instructions on my website then create a 2D barcode to print next to the design. People can simply scan it with their phones and it'll pop up the instructions on my site.

My favourite customer complaint is the decals on the outside of a car for each door are facing the same way! I have to explain to them the we read from left to right and words cannot be reversed. Suffice to say that's the last I hear from them after they realise they are being a plank :) We also used to sell light etched glass 50mm stickers for wing mirrors, like the Audi rings for £1.50 for two. We had at least 20 people thinking they were buying the mirror

decalman

I mail out decals .. sometimes in the 14 foot range. I got instructions on my website.
Once in a while, someone is helped by it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think about doing this also. I usually have some small scrap decals laying around and give the customer a quick overview. I guess I could save the time and just make a video!

JamesLam

Is this a waste of time?
Not that anyone asked, but you didn't really answer the question..."Why do you want to provide instructions?" Community service, reduce call-backs, marketing & sales...these are just a few reasons that may determine what you do and how you do it. If you are just trying to help your existing clients and reduce call-backs and lost time then directing them to something that is already available might be the ticket.

But if you are trying to leverage your connections to increase sales than a link back to your web-site via printed instructions and/or video might be the direction you want to follow. If this is the case look around for professionals that help businesses create content through social media posts, links, video reels, etc. as they can help provide ideas, guidance and simplify what can become complicated. You may be surprised at how affordable many of these services can be.

Check out your local SBA or Chamber of Commerce as they may be able to point you in the direction of State, Provincial and Federal funding and programs that might be available. It's amazing how many programs and incentives to help digitize small businesses have been developed over the past 18 months.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, if you supply simple or complex directions, must you also include a disclaimer that if they fail to do it incorrectly, like making it crooked or upside down or whatever..... you are not held responsible ?? Would you hafta supply new ones til they learn it ??

I always tell people, it's easy. Like putting a bumper sticker on. You just need to clean the area first. If we do it, we'll do it til we get it right, but if you fug it up, you must keep paying til it meets your needs.