• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Decal Printer... I think!

AlleleGraphics

Good Morning Folks...
I currently have a client that I do work for, who makes custom pens.
the graphics on the pens are usually no larger than .75" in height, by necc. length, and of course the files are super detailed... ie: sheriff's badges
I have been successfull in the past year in printing on an HP L26500 Latex Printerand dye cutting these tiny decals, however, I am running into climate control issues, and all sorts of other details too many to mention, including cost issues... (ie: doesn't pay for me to set up these files for small runs, etc. plus this just ISN'T the type of work we typically do here.)
SO, I want to recommend to my client that he buy his own printer/plotter unit, as he is running all of these in very small runs (usually in 5-10 quantities)
Can ANYONE out there recommend something good for printing and dye cutting detailed decals?
THANK you in ADVANCE!!!
Stacey

rjssigns

I'd think a desktop UV printer would work. Mimaki has one. IIRC it is shown printing on golf balls, iPhones, etc...

Locals Find!

your looking for entirely the wrong equipment for your endeavor.

What you need is a small pad printer. These can be purchased for under 10k and can go up from there depending on a speed, size, capability etc...

However, if your just doing small runs of pens. I can gladly pass on a supplier that does that wholesale. Good product, American made, and family owned for the last 100 years.

Shadowglen

Unless you have tons of patience and a lot of money stay away from the pad printer specially for small runs. I purchased a pad printer years ago to compliment are promotional products end of the business and I can tell you it is way too much work unless your doing large amounts of the same thing. small amounts like you are talking 5 to 10 on a pad press are a pain and you have to mix a ton of ink that you will throw away. What are the pens made of if they are custom? what does he do sell them or give them away.

AlleleGraphics

Unless you have tons of patience and a lot of money stay away from the pad printer specially for small runs. I purchased a pad printer years ago to compliment are promotional products end of the business and I can tell you it is way too much work unless your doing large amounts of the same thing. small amounts like you are talking 5 to 10 on a pad press are a pain and you have to mix a ton of ink that you will throw away. What are the pens made of if they are custom? what does he do sell them or give them away.
I think everyone here might have misunderstood... I literally print decals for this guy, he then applies them to custom barrels, that he has laithed and then he resin coats them. We have this kind of down to a science, and I know that companies like GILL and STOUSE can accomodate what he wants, except that they don't do one offs of small runs, which is why I wanted to suggest this guy get his own desktop printer/plotter... I have contacted Mimaki regarding their desktop printer system, but I am pretty sure it's gonna be too pricey for this guy. Unfortunately he doesn't want to spend a ton of $$ (who can blame him) but it's just NOT cost effective for me to do them anymore....
oh, and btw, this guy's pen's are GORGEOUS!!!
I a still printing and designing a lot of his work, it's just these super small ones we are having issues with.
I appreciate the help more than I can express!!
Thanks!

jdoug5170

decal printing

Stacey, I would go to IAP, www.penturners.org and ask the question there. I know that several of the members print their own decals and attach them to the custom turned pens that they offer. And you're right, many of these pens are absolutely wonderful. Very creative folks some of them!

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that they print with just basic ink jet printers, it is all in the decal material.

Doug

AlleleGraphics

Stacey, I would go to IAP, www.penturners.org and ask the question there. I know that several of the members print their own decals and attach them to the custom turned pens that they offer. And you're right, many of these pens are absolutely wonderful. Very creative folks some of them!

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that they print with just basic ink jet printers, it is all in the decal material.

Doug
Thank you Doug!!!
I think this is EXACTLY where I need to point this guy!!
whew!! I was sweating this!!!
But after looking thru the site, this is for sure what he needs!
I REALLY Appreciate it!!
S