• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dell doesn't allow customization anymore?

cdiesel

I just logged into Dell's site to order two new computers, and the first problem I ran into was that I could not choose Windows 7 Pro, just Home Premium. I chatted with one of their reps, who told me I had to order Windows Pro separate and install myself. That sucks, but okay.

Next, I usually add some extra RAM and change the video card to something that will support two monitors. No dice. Again I chatted with a rep, and they told me that the no longer offer customization like that. They took the options away to increase build speed.

I told them that was very unfortunate, as we need some extra RAM and dual monitors for our applications. We've had great luck with Dell's systems (we currently run about 20 of them), but I think we'll need to find a different source. I have no interest in building my own..

Letterbox Mike

Why not just buy them as-is and add the extra RAM and video card yourself? It'll probably cost the same or less than if you bought them pre-built from Dell like that, and you'll probably end up with better components. Adding RAM and a video card is about as easy as it gets, 2-3 minutes tops.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You can change it on their business class systems no problem. Just looked at a Precision and Pro is standard (as it is on all of the business class systems) but you can also choose Ultimate. Just for fun though I did just check on a home system, an Inspiron 620 and on the second customize screen Windows 7 Professional is a choice on it.

showcase 66

I have one Dell left still working and three are HP's and my main Computer now was built for me. I personally dont care for Dell anymore, but I did like the fact you could pick and choose what you wanted upgraded if you wanted. My biggest problem with dell is all the crap that they are loaded with. Same with HP but no where near as much crap dell comes with. Seems to take forever to clear all of their crap off of them.

signswi

Order from Dell Small Business, not from Dell Home. Their business lines are very solid while their home stuff is built for idiots. Finding and working with a Dell rep works even better as they can usually leverage deals you wouldn't have access to otherwise.

cdiesel

I know it won't be hard to install more RAM or a video card.. but we also usually upgrade the processor. Again, an easy upgrade to install, but now I've paid for a processor, RAM (and they usually fill the slots from the factory, so going from 8gb to 12gb doesn't just mean I'd have to buy four more.. probably at least 8gb) that I would have to replace, and a video card to replace.

Never cared for Signburst..

cdiesel

Hmm.. I just logged into dell again and went to the business side (not sure why it didn't take me there by default last time) but apparently you can get Windows 7 Pro, but still can't change the memory or video card..

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Also - the business lines are not loaded with crap either..... If a computer comes pre-loaded with gobs of crap then it is a system intended to be at someones house, not in a business. At least that is my opinion..... We have Dell Precisions. They came preloaded with some Dell wallpapers and a couple of Dell support and diagnostic utilities. No office trials, no burning software, no antivirus trial, no games, etc. It did come with burning software, on a CD for you to install yourself if you want it.

Order from Dell Small Business, not from Dell Home. Their business lines are very solid while their home stuff is built for idiots. Finding and working with a Dell rep works even better as they can usually leverage deals you wouldn't have access to otherwise.

round man

the only thing needed for dual monitors in windows 7 is multiple plugs for the video feed to the monitors,...most new dells have both hdmi and 25 pin vga plugs and they support dual monitors if the monitors have the right connections

WildWestDesigns

the only thing needed for dual monitors in windows 7 is multiple plugs for the video feed to the monitors,...most new dells have both hdmi and 25 pin vga plugs and they support dual monitors if the monitors have the right connections

Still doing VGA plugs over DVI? I would rather have DVI over HDMI (no need to pass thru the audio to the monitor).

I just wish my video card didn't have a mini display port for it's 3 video input. I hated having to find an "active" mini display to DVI adapter.

royster13

After building my own computer last time around, I am so happy to have a computer free of all the "bloatware" a typical off the shelf computer comes with....

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Hmm.. I just logged into dell again and went to the business side (not sure why it didn't take me there by default last time) but apparently you can get Windows 7 Pro, but still can't change the memory or video card..

You must be in the wrong place on Dells site because they have many options to choose from. Operating system, processor, video card, memory, hard drive etc.

I just bought a Inferno system from Casey at SignBurst last week and am very pleased with it... :thumb:
Well built and very fast.

choucove

Dell does over customization... to some point. Only certain areas of certain models have full customization, but the Quick Ship models offer no customization, they are just a base package.

Speaking with a Dell account rep can be handy if you don't know what you are looking for. However, the last three times we have had to order Dell business desktops for one of our customers, we have always done so using coupon codes from Logicbuy.com directly through their business website. Each time, we found coupon codes that were far better discounts than the reps could give us (I spoke with three reps in two different departments to confirm, and am even a registered Dell resell partner!) We ended up buying four Dell Optiplex 790 desktops for LESS than what it actually cost Dell to make them!

What are you intending to use this computer system for? So far in this discussion I haven't seen this question addressed. What kind of computer are you looking at from Dell? As others have stated here if you are determined to get a Dell then it is highly recommended that you at least stay away from their entry level and consumer lines and stick only with the higher end Optiplex or the Precision line. The other series of computers lacks quality, reliability, and customizability.

If you're wanting to get the most bang for your buck, look at picking up a base model of a business line (such as the Optixplex 790) and ONLY get the base recommended hardware (2 GB of DDR3 1333 memory, 250 GB hard drive, and integrated Intel HD graphics.) Then, buy the upgrades yourself. You will save a TON doing this, as they charge 2x to 3x the actual cost of the hardware for upgrading. For example, the cost to go from 2 GB to 4 GB of RAM on the said Optiplex when we ordered them was an additional $80 per computer! I can buy enough RAM to upgrade ALL four computers to 4 GB of RAM for less than $80 total!

If you need help, then please do NOT hesitate to call an expert. It is their job and their livelihood to know about technology to fit your business needs. After all, if you need dental work done, you go to your dentist not to your plumber, right? Know the right person for the job, let them know what you are looking for, and let them help. It can save you a ton of money in the end.

Mosh

Roll out to Wal-Mart!!! I keep preaching this, you guys spend so much $$$ and I get these Wal-Mart Del comps for pennies on the dollar!!! I must be doing something right, been in biz for 25 years doing it!!!! I also don't borrow money so that might be part of that!

cdiesel

I just looked again, and on the business side you can customize.. to a point. I'm wanting to get an XPS 8500 (we have three already and they work great). I can add Win7 Pro, but that's where the "customization" ends.

None of the video cards Dell is offering have two ports..

We've had a few custom built computers, and they've always been "buggy".. random freezes and hangups, where the Dells next to them run fine on the same software.

HP's site.. more customizable than Dell, but still can't get a two port video card. Guess I'll ask our IT guy to look into it..

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I've never tried them before but take a look at Vision Computers

http://www.visioncomputers.com/customkititems.asp?kc=03-P4-PRO2&eq=

Whenever I get to listen to Boortz on the radio I hear him doing a live read or running one of their commercials. They are supposed to be all about "customer service".

I have no idea so enter at your own risk. But if Dell is limiting your customization it may be a good step to try someone else. I bet if you stepped UP to the Dell Workstation line ($$$) you will have more upgrade options. They usually start with a Xeon processor and ECC ram.