• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design computer specs

10sacer

Hey gang,

Can you all provide recommendations for a replacement design computer that will be beefy enough to handle very large photoshop files that will make supersize banners?

Manufacturer
Processor
RAM
Hard Drive
Graphics board

Thanks

heyskull

Personally it is as big or deep your pockets are.
We all have wanted or seen an ideal design computer but most of the time it is out of reach.
I believe Signburst do some unbelievable spec machines but at $5400 for their supernova model it is out of most sign guys reach.
This is an openended question and price and what it has to do is the question.

SC

OADesign

I have purchased from Signburst before. Great investment. Great Service. Well worth it albeit pricey. But so is my Porsche Cayenne... that I dream about.

I just completed a new build for our design station. All said and done I spent about 1600. But prices will be up a bit as the goal of this particular build was to catch the holiday/black Friday deals.

I can share parts list and vendors if you like.

rjssigns

For reference:
4 year old iMac with 2.8 Intel Core 2 Duo and 4 gigs of 800mhz ram does it. Just punched out a high-resolution 8' x 16' banner. It included up-res'ing an 11" x 16" photo. Finished file was close to 300meg.

Next Mac will have an i7 quad core and 8 gigs of ram which will be more than sufficient.

SignBurst PCs

Hey Guys, thanks for the mention. We really try to put out awesome computers with exceptional service and support. We have worked hard to offer computer systems that perform exceptionally in design software.

To be honest, the SignBurst™ SuperNova is a specialized system and doesn't fit most shops. It has it's place, but it is a specialty build for sure.

The SignBurst™ Inferno is our most popular and an AWESOME all around system. 8 of every 10 computers that we ship is an Inferno. These are solid, fast, and quality design computers.

The SignBurst™ Extreme is a true BEAST and is for those who want to really want a go fast. I personally use this system as it really performs well in the large design files, really large files (1-15GB).

I am always happy to help a Signs101'er, so give me a shout anytime. I am happy to just chat with ya.

the graphics co

Signburst is the way to go, if you are going to be building a new design station it is worth a few extra dollars to have someone who optimizes for the sign industry do it for you. I purchased the Inferno setup not to long ago and it was worth every penny.

synergy_jim

dual quad core 3ghz Mac Pro w/ 32gig ram
4 drives - OS drive and scratch drive for photoshop are SSD drives
1gb ATI 5770 graphics card.

Never had an issue opening or editing anything.

The latest we bought is:

2012 Imac 27" - 3.4ghz I7 quad core
1TB Fusion drive
32 gb ram
2gb graphic card

This thing is a beast.

All that being said, My mac pro is a 2007 model and is still more than adequate. We bought the new 27" imac for a new rip computer to run Caldera.