• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Design Help For Beginner

Dakes2

I am just starting out in this field of sign making and could do with some advice on designing a simple no parking sign for my friend, I am going to use landscape a4 size pvc sheet for the sign and want to use my vinyl cutter to make the wording, there will be two colours of wording, red and white, the white lettering will be overlaid on top of a red rectangular panel, and I need to cut these parts out separately, but when I do a preview in my signcut program its cutting everything out as one piece, any advice on where to start and how to do it please

Gary Wiant

I'm not sure what software you are using but you have the background & lettering combined into the same shape. My recommendation would be watch trading videos on-line until you understand how the software works this is a very simple procedure that you should be able to learn watching training videos.

Good luck

I am just starting out in this field of sign making and could do with some advice on designing a simple no parking sign for my friend, I am going to use landscape a4 size pvc sheet for the sign and want to use my vinyl cutter to make the wording, there will be two colours of wording, red and white, the white lettering will be overlaid on top of a red rectangular panel, and I need to cut these parts out separately, but when I do a preview in my signcut program its cutting everything out as one piece, any advice on where to start and how to do it please

Johnny Best

You have to have a vector (cut lines) for the red box and one for the copy which needs to be in front of red.
The plotter will cut the box lines and then the copy lines then peel out the copy letters leaving the red box with white copy.
parking.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why not post a picture of your dilemma and perhaps someone could give you something from which to work.

Johnny Best

Wait, I reread your post. Of course it will cut it out as one piece. You load your red vinyl in the plotter, cut out what you have in your cutting software. Unload red, pick out the word parking. When you attach your red to the substrate, what ever color that is will be the color for parking, so use a white substrate (painted metal, pvc, wood, plastic, foamboard).

Dakes2

Just to clarify then, the red lettering "no parking" needs to be cut out separately and on the red square the writing will be cut out and show the background colour of white.

Johnny Best

No the rectangle and parking all get cut at once, then you peel out the word parking, apply transfer tape and put on white panel. When you remove tape the red rectangle will be there with white letters.
There are hundreds of YouTube videos on this subject.

Johnny Best

Just to clarify then, the red lettering "no parking" needs to be cut out separately and on the red square the writing will be cut out and show the background colour of white.
Yes! just saw your layout, your correct, good luck.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around these parts, we also need to add at the bottom that violators will be ticketed or towed. Legally, you must tell them what will happen, if they disobey a simple instruction.

Billct2

You got the technical part figured out, now try a tweak to the design. Since you're from England, the wording may be different, and over here like Gino said we generally threaten not thank.....but here's my take with your text. Try not to condense fonts to fit, and give text some "white space"

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 207

Patentagosse

Around these parts, we also need to add at the bottom that violators will be ticketed or towed. Legally, you must tell them what will happen, if they disobey a simple instruction.

"violators will be shot, survivors will be shot again"...

Last edited:

Pippin Decals

What software do you use?