Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Designers For Hire Section For Signs101?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by RJPW, Mar 9, 2017.

1. RJPW

RJPW Major Contributor

Oct 24, 2007
    Canada
    Has anyone ever looked at, or considered, having some kind of section for hiring other Signs 101 members to do design work? I know there is a section for requests for bids, but I'm thinking more specifically for design/set up work. I'm thinking a format like those design bidding sites - WITHOUT the naming your price and beating designers up part. Just a similar concept where someone posts what they're looking for, and a designer can reply to the post or contact them and they now work together on it. (no similarities AT ALL to the low-ball aspect of those sites)

We have worked with a few members here on a couple jobs and it has worked great. In our case, our biggest bottleneck is on the design end, which I would suspect may be the case for other shops out there. Having trusted partners out there that we can send design work to, has been a great solution so far.

We also run into some mindless data input jobs where it's just copy from spreadsheets and paste into Composer files with variable data etc. Not glamorous or even remotely exciting by any means but it has to be done and I would gladly pay someone else to do it to free myself up to work on other things.

Long, rambling story short - would anyone be game to have a section for design work for hire, and possibly divided in categories? (Maybe this isn't required, and we could just include the type of work in the description) If we could somehow have a list of members that are available or interested in participating, and have their specialty/area of expertise listed, that would be nice too. Ex. Wrap design, billboards, architectural sign proposals, data input, etc etc.

Admin - I'm sure there is more to this than just members doing business together. If this would in any way shape or form cause issues here or create more work for you, just let me know. If this is something that would be best done through the back channels then that's okay too. I just thought it would be worth seeing who's interested. From what I can see/remember, this hasn't really been brought up before.

Just throwing this out there - interested in hearing what everyone thinks of this.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Tags:
    • Like Like x 4
  2. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

I think this would be nice to have in the premium section.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RJPW

RJPW Major Contributor

Oct 24, 2007
    Canada
    That's a good idea, then it would be hidden from the public, and would help contribute to the site.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

4. SignsSupport

SignsSupport Administrator Staff Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
  5. RJPW

RJPW Major Contributor

Oct 24, 2007
    Canada
    Any thoughts on this?

6. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I'd like something like this. I'm looking for freelance work.

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    What's been done in the past was, if you wanted to advertise or sell your talents/wares, you needed to take out a Merchant Membership. Really, it's the only honest way to find someone doing this kinda service. Otherwise, what's gonna happen when you get people really p!ssed off about payments, misrepresentation, quality [or lack thereof], or just plain wrongdoing of any sorts ?? You're not supposed to be selling, trading or buying things in a backroom style and that's about what it would turn into if no one controlled it. Now, who in their right mind would wanna do all that and not be compensated for it ??

8. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I think it's a great idea but I also think it would never work. Putting it in the Premium section means it would never be seen by 99%+ of the members and none of the visitors. Putting it anywhere it would be seen has two problems ...

1. It is unfair to merchant members looking for a return on the money they've paid to promote themselves to members and visitors.

2. It results in some members who do not understand its limitations to make self promoting posts about non-included products and/or services.

What could work would be a list similar to a Buyer's Guide that any member could pay a comparatively smaller fee to have their name and contact information listed but without the other benefits included with a merchant subscription.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017