• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

designing laptop

Wrapdup

I am needing to get a laptop to do one design work. Have a couple desktops but being busy and bouncing around I would like a laptop. What's the best you guys have found? Running Adobe and flexi. Doesn't have to be light speed but I don't want to spend half the time waiting for the processor. All my software and other computers are pc's. So a MAC ia out.

NEGD

I am needing to get a laptop to do one design work. Have a couple desktops but being busy and bouncing around I would like a laptop. What's the best you guys have found? Running Adobe and flexi. Doesn't have to be light speed but I don't want to spend half the time waiting for the processor. All my software and other computers are pc's. So a MAC ia out.

I'm not one of those "have to have a MAC" but why is a mac out? I'm pretty sure you can run Windows on a Mac, which will allow you to run the PC based software but you'll still have the ability of design on Mac... just saying.

choucove

We have had tremendous success and great feedback from several customers we have sold HP ProBooks and EliteBooks to. These are the upper end of the HP business line of notebooks.

After seeing way too many consumer-grade laptops from every brand name out there come in after a single year of use with multiple hardware issues, I just can't recommend to anyone at all those kinds of computers. They are just built too cheap because everyone and their mailman wants a throw away computer: And that's just what they are, something worth throwing away.

If you're going to do any kind of design work with Adobe, you're run-of-the-mill regular laptop off the shelf from Walmart or Best Buy is barely going to muster up the power to do what you need, and especially will not hold on for several years down the road. I'd highly recommend investing your money wisely in a performance business class notebook: In the end, it's not going to cost you much more than an upper-end consumer notebook, but you're going to probably get a 3-year warranty under the business side of the company (which is infinitely easier to deal with than the consumer side of any big name manufacturer out there) and will be getting a much higher quality computer built to last for years.

Now, with HP their mid-range business line is the HP ProBook. You can find these anywhere from $500 up to $1,200 with a vast option of configurations and performance capabilities in that range. If you've got the money, though, then for a design system I'd have to recommend the HP EliteBooks, their top-tier laptops. I've had the pleasure of ordering and handing several of these beauties out to customers and they have received more praise than most any of our computers. These laptops range from $1,000 and up as far as you're willing to spend, but their performance in design work is unparalleled.

Now, at this point, I get a lot of businesses that ask why HP and not Dell. First off, for their business line of products, HP still holds the upper hand when it comes to build quality, without a doubt. Most all of their lines are constructed of solid aluminum unibody builds and still sell at a lower price than equally-configured Dell Precision and Latitude laptops. In fact, most all major technology reviewers and publications online who have had the chance to review the HP EliteBook laptops put their build quality and price for performance WAY above Mac computers.

It would help for us to know a little more about what you are looking for in a computer, especially what kind of budget you have in mind for this computer. Newegg carries several of the HP ProBook/EliteBook options for a great price, but I know that if you sometimes call directly into HP after doing some price comparisons around you can get a sweet discount deal off just for having called directly in to them.

Let me know some more about what you are looking for and I can narrow down your options a little further if you'd like! I definitely stand behind these HP laptops, I have not been disappointed or had any problems with a single one of the dozens and dozens that we have ordered for customers.

choucove

I have been wanting to get me a laptop/tablet pc. All the power of a laptop and the a Cintiq built in.

The power of a laptop with a Cintiq built in, are you talking about the ASUS Eee Slate EP121? I honestly have been very curious about this tablet myself, as it's the only tablet out there that truly has production functionality. All other tablets out right now really are designed only for simple media consumption, and every reseller, developer, and manufacturer out there will state that. Tablets I believe can get to the point of being real productivity tools, but right now this ASUS tablet is the only one really capable of that.

I'd love to try out this tablet, but given the cost of it, I find it just a hard sell still. You can get a darn nice laptop for that price which is going to comprise more performance and connectivity options.

Given the specific needs and software of the original post, though, I wouldn't really recommend the ASUS Slate (or any other tablet for that matter) as it seems this needs to be a primary production tool and, while it can run the necessary software, a laptop will be more efficient at doing so currently especially for the cost.

WildWestDesigns

We have had tremendous success and great feedback from several customers we have sold HP ProBooks and EliteBooks to. These are the upper end of the HP business line of notebooks.

I had heard somewhere that HP was going to get out of the PC market. I don't know if it's just a rumor, only applies to consumer line or what, but that's the scuttlebutt that I've heard. I was kinda surprised about it. I haven't had a chance to look into it, so I don't know if it was just smoke being blown in my face or what.

Having said that, I use a Toshibal Quisimio laptop with the Intuos 3 tablet. That computer doubles as my production computer as well as my travel computer. It's done everything that I've asked of it and then some. I am on the lookout for a good laptop/tablet PC as I know going from my Cintiq to the Intuos is rough. That and not having 3 monitors when I'm on the road, but I'll learn to live with that one.

signswi

If you want to save a few bucks while building a mean machine get the fastest processor and best screen you can afford (matte is WAY better than glossy, as many pixels as you can...) but minimal RAM and HD allowed for that package. After you get the laptop, fill out the RAM third party (crucial.com) and replace the HD with an SSD from Newegg.

CS-SignSupply-TT

DESIGNER laptop

Have you considered FLEXI DESIGNER for the laptop?

Jim Doggett

Monitor!!! Get a whopper. Mine is 1920 x 1200. I do not take it on my morning jogs (read: it's heavy). But for Photoshop, I have a huge design window with my tools floating off to sides. Wouldn't work on any other "laptop" (portable desktop is more apt :^)

My $0.02,

choucove

WildWest you are kind of correct. HP is looking to spin off its PC business and put it's focus more into the business services. The last several years Dell has also done similar, focusing more of its development and resources into offering business products and services than the consumer market.

However, this doesn't mean that there will no longer be HP computers. After all, HP is the largest manufacturer and seller of computers in the world. There are two possible tracks that HP will take from here. The first option would be to set up HP PC business as it's own separate entity, kind of like how AMD spun off it's fabrication to create Global Foundry. The other option is if some really big-name company comes along and buys the HP PC part of the business. The problem is HP's PC business is so massive that very few would be able to afford purchasing that part of their business.

jgaskin

not sure what your requirement specs are, but i recently picked up a Dell 17R to run my graphtec plotter. i wanted something that i could load up with flexi and illustrator and take home at night on those days when i just can't get enough of this insanity called the sign business.

i got mine thru delloutlet.com. it's the site they run all their refurbs thru. specs on my machine below:

Dell 17R
17" screen
Core i3 proc
6GB Ram
500GB HD
4 USB ports
$570 shipped

not too bad for a "flexi" machine.

avoid ibuypower!! nothing but crappy customer service from both sales and tech dept.....checkout the reviews on them.....lots of the same thing and i have had first hand experience of it.....avoid them!

choucove

iBuyPower laptops are actually just OEM notebooks from other manufacturers, such as Clevo/Sager, MSI, or ASUS. It's going to be hit or miss there.

Of those OEM manufacturers I have owned a Clevo/Sager notebook and was incredibly pleased with it. Built like a tank, and the most powerful laptops available for gaming. However, unless you're planning to actually do gaming with it (and have its own air conditioning unit installed in your office) then really these aren't the machines you're looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnjaUoR15dU

Salmoneye

I just bought a HP piece from the office supply store with an i7, 6gig and 750gb hd. Basic unit that they tout as an entertainment model and it seems to be handling cs5 pretty well. Cheap.

WildWestDesigns

If you are interested in a production tablet, check out Fujitsu tablet pcs. i5 and i7 processors. Build to order. Dedicated graphics cards and available with SSD drives. You can buy refurbished on their eBay store for 60% or more off list price. Check out this link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujitsu-Lif...44552542?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item56462d2a5e

I've looked at the Fujitsu tablets, I've heard some things about if you get a good one, you've got a good one, if it's bad then it's really bad. I was kind of surprised about that given all the commercial type of equipment that they make from self-checkout monitors for grocery stores to TVs (my dad has 3 of them).