• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DesignJet 5500PS - Sihl 3960 vinyl - What profile/settings to use for color

Beginner question...

I wanted to ask if anyone had a suggestion on what settings to use if I am printing to a DesignJet 5500PS UV that is using Sihl 3960 Banner Scrim Vinyl Matte 15 mil.

When printing to some cheap HP Universal bond paper, I had the printer media profile set to "HP Universal Coated paper UV" and in my Adobe Indesign I chose under "Color Management" the ICC Printer Profile: "HP 5500 Universal Coated Max Quality" and my photo did turn out the right color (a mostly brown image)

But when I put in the Vinyl, I set the printers media profile to "HP Heavy Weight Coated Paper" like the folks at Sihl told me to do. And in Indesign, I set the ICC Printer Profile to "HP 5500PS UV, HW Coated Paper, Best".

But my photo turned out the wrong color (instead of brown, it was more blue/black).

I had Color Handling" in InDesign set to "Let InDesign Determine colors" all the time (if that matters).

Thanks!

Turns out Sihl doesn't provide ICC profiles (atleast now). I found this on their website yeterday:

ICC Profiles

Q: Why doesn’t Sihl provide profiles?

A: Great question! The simple answer is that there is a default setting already installed that works just as well.

The more in depth answer is that technologies are changing so rapidly that we cannot keep up with every media on every printer. We have also found that most users create their own profile anyway. Instead, we use the profiles that come with the printers and software. We determine the best print setting for each media and let you tweak the settings from there. We are providing a starting point.

Robert Boyd

I would try the colorfast vinyl setting. I haven't use the Sihl brand vinyl though.
I would also try the color setting on Let HPdesignjet determine color

ppisales

Vinyl settings on the 5500

I have the 5500ps and Vinyl setting 2 seems to work just fine. I only use the UV inks, never even tried using the 5500 pack for the indoor inks.