• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Designs from Cricut: Cloud based could be a nightmare

brycesteiner

I had a new one today. A customer wanted to send me a design of their new logo from a cloud based software known as Cricut. I guess they sell vinyl cutters and that is the software you use. Nice enough I suppose.
There is nowhere to export or save as that I can find of any kind of standard format. It won't even let you save the file to your computer.
I saw it can import SVG and DXF but nowhere can you export. The only way I could figure it out was to take a screen shot, remove the background grid in PS then import the file into Illustrator and have it draw it. I'm just glad it was only one color.
It appears these cloud based apps that sell vinyl makes sure that you cannot use stuff designed in their programs.
I thought we were supposed to be moving in the direction have more interaction between programs. Now it's going back to isolation as back in the day when Lotus couldn't read Word files and vice-versa.
Have you used anything like this?

WildWestDesigns

Home products typically are that way.

I'm not used to their cloud version, they had software that directly installed on the computer, but it could only save in the proprietary native format of the program. Although, exporting functions may have been added since the last time I heard anything related to that software. Only reason that I know what little I know about the cricut is some of my digitizing customers that don't want to take too much of a hit that go into the vinyl world get the home machines. I can understand that, though what irritates me is when the local professional trade show has vendors hocking this equipment.

As to this:

I thought we were supposed to be moving in the direction have more interaction between

I honestly think we are going back to the dummy terminal days. And for whatever reason, it seems to be whole heartedly embraced. It's a shame.

morty87

I had a new one today. A customer wanted to send me a design of their new logo from a cloud based software known as Cricut. I guess they sell vinyl cutters and that is the software you use. Nice enough I suppose.
There is nowhere to export or save as that I can find of any kind of standard format. It won't even let you save the file to your computer.
I saw it can import SVG and DXF but nowhere can you export. The only way I could figure it out was to take a screen shot, remove the background grid in PS then import the file into Illustrator and have it draw it. I'm just glad it was only one color.
It appears these cloud based apps that sell vinyl makes sure that you cannot use stuff designed in their programs.
I thought we were supposed to be moving in the direction have more interaction between programs. Now it's going back to isolation as back in the day when Lotus couldn't read Word files and vice-versa.
Have you used anything like this?

LOL I actually have one. The cricut explorer air 2, fairly new. I had same problem with getting the image off, but you can just save it as a jpeg to your computer. I know there is a few other ways too, but that was just easiest for me. I think they can actually send a link or share a link. I use it to make custom 30 mil car magnets with alot of cuts. It works great for small stuff like that.

#racewraps

@printwithspeed
I will typically offer a redraw of their "proprietary" art if they can figure out how to provide me with a good enough image to work from. Or it can be an opportunity to offer design services.

KMC

Graphic Artist
on the positive side it helps that the 'cricut' people are stuck on that platform it helps weed out the 'hobby' out of the sign business, i get a laugh at them when i see them selling car decals on FB platform with their budget crap vinyl that wont last

visual800

I love it! Those customers that choose to allow "others" to design their stuff instead of professionals, they will be driven thru pure hell to get me what I want to produce signage. It happened a couple weeks ago with a "young designer". The nice part is its all on their designer to get me what I need to make their sign

All fonts welded-they have no idea what this means
vector-not a clue, but expect me to cut vinyl from it

PeggyLeon

Hi...i am a new user here. It could only save in the proprietary native format of the program. Although, exporting functions may have been added since the last time I heard anything related to that software. Only reason that I know what little I know about the cricut is some of my digitizing customers that don't want to take too much of a hit.

WildWestDesigns

Hi...i am a new user here. It could only save in the proprietary native format of the program. Although, exporting functions may have been added since the last time I heard anything related to that software. Only reason that I know what little I know about the cricut is some of my digitizing customers that don't want to take too much of a hit.

Hmmmmm

I'm not used to their cloud version, they had software that directly installed on the computer, but it could only save in the proprietary native format of the program. Although, exporting functions may have been added since the last time I heard anything related to that software. Only reason that I know what little I know about the cricut is some of my digitizing customers that don't want to take too much of a hit that go into the vinyl world get the home machines.

player

I have been here for a long time. It could only save in the proprietary native format of the program. Although, exporting functions may have been added since the last time I heard anything related to that software. Only reason that I know what little I know about the cricut is some of my digitizing customers that don't want to take too much of a hit.

morty87

I have been here for a long time. It could only save in the proprietary native format of the program. Although, exporting functions may have been added since the last time I heard anything related to that software. Only reason that I know what little I know about the cricut is some of my digitizing customers that don't want to take too much of a hit.
I'd buy another if it would support rolls and was a bit wider. It cut 30 mil magnets great, but could only do 12 x 12 sheets. If I was able to use rolls with it...I be all over it.

AnthonyRalano

Martha Stewart must have her own .ms extension

Attachments

• 31cLgJhhU6L._SX450_.jpg
    31cLgJhhU6L._SX450_.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 279