• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Desk Top computers dead..

SignBurst PCs

"Dead" may be a reach. I have been following this and Intel may move to GBA for some products in the future. It is a reasonable roadmap. Even so, it would be hard to see them cutting out the Channel (and enthusiasts) altogether, at least anytime soon. Even if the CPUs were soldered onto the board, it wouldn't kill the desktop, it would only make upgrading CPUs more difficult and impractical. In my experience, as a system builder, upgrading CPUs is only done by a very small fraction of end users anyhow.

Techman

upgrading CPUs is only done by a very small fraction of end users anyhow.
I agree... It is usually better to get a newer motherboard and chip rather than the old way of just changing a chip. The benefits of changing a chip just are not good enough.

But the behind the scenes challenge to desktops as we know them now is windows 8 and its future variants. With the touch screen and voice recognition becoming viable.

choucove

AMD recently posted a letter discussing this rumor of Intel going to a non-LGA based processor platform for mainstream systems, stating that they would not move away from upgradable and interchangeable processors for the sake of their loyal customers and enthusiasts.

Well this finally forced Intel to make an official response. Seems the rumors are just that, rumors, and Intel currently is not planning to move away from the standard LGA interchangeable processor system for the foreseeable future.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/LGA-BGA-Socketed-SoC-DIY,19594.html