• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Desktop printer with white ink/foil

Devon19515

Does anyone have any insight to a low cost printer with white ink or a foil style.
I am needing to print white on clear acetate material.
I have been thinking of trying to hack a cheap office printer and fill a cartridge with white ink.
Anyone have experience with this or suggestions that wont cost a couple grand.
We have been applying white vinyl but cutting and weeding small copy is getting time consuming.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Your best solution is probably to outsource it to a supplier with a Gerber Edge (such as us). White on high performance clear will run you less than 6¢ per square inch subject to a $15 minimum.

AKwrapguy

Does anyone have any insight to a low cost printer with white ink or a foil style.
I am needing to print white on clear acetate material.
I have been thinking of trying to hack a cheap office printer and fill a cartridge with white ink.
Anyone have experience with this or suggestions that wont cost a couple grand.
We have been applying white vinyl but cutting and weeding small copy is getting time consuming.

You should try that. Let us know how that works. How would you 'hack' it anyways? Where would you get white ink that you could use in a inkjet desktop printer?

Christian @ 2CT Media

You have 2 options and it's going to cost you more than a couple Grand. Thermal is the tried and true method, Summa & Gerber for sign grade then there are a million thermal label printer ter companies.

Option 2 is Toner. Currently the only one I know ow of that works a darn is the OKI Data printers.

Marlene

If this is for your own personal use, sure give it a try. If it is for a customer, no don't mess with DYI because you don't have the correct equipment. Our source is a better option.

Devon19515

Thanks for the input. I have found what may be a solution.
The HP color laserjet M452dw printer with ghost white toner.
I have found this on USCutter for less than a grand.
Im not sure how it does on the clear acetate but I will give them a call.