• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Diamond Plate Vinyl

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hi All,
I have a customer who is looking to have a 36" x 8' - 2 sided sign covered in diamond plate vinyl OR just the wording in diamond (throwing ideas around). The sides of the sign face East and West so sun on each side for 1/2 the day. I've used diamond plate vinyl on race cars and random signs but never on an exterior install like this. Anyone have experience with this and how long can I expect the vinyl to hold up. On another note...drivers might be blinded by light as it's about 20' off the road :O What about using reflective vinyl instead? Thanks!

letterman7

The traditional 'diamond plate' is a polyester based vinyl. You'll be lucky to get a year out of it before it fails. You could laminate it and extend the life a bit, but I would look into other options. If you have a printer or know someone who does, I'd print the pattern along with everything else to get the look your customer is going for.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hi All,
I have a customer who is looking to have a 36" x 8' - 2 sided sign covered in diamond plate vinyl OR just the wording in diamond (throwing ideas around). The sides of the sign face East and West so sun on each side for 1/2 the day. I've used diamond plate vinyl on race cars and random signs but never on an exterior install like this. Anyone have experience with this and how long can I expect the vinyl to hold up. On another note...drivers might be blinded by light as it's about 20' off the road :O What about using reflective vinyl instead? Thanks!

I carry a 3 year Outdoor rated Diamond Plate Metalized Vinyl if you are interested.

Billct2

These are some good options above, but my concern would be legibility. Anything using a full shiny diamond plate background is going to be hard to read. So using it for the letters with a contrasting outline, or just using it as a border or accent would be my suggestion to the customer. The printed option would work better because you can get a muted appearance that is easier to use as a background.

Stacey K

I like making signs
These are some good options above, but my concern would be legibility. Anything using a full shiny diamond plate background is going to be hard to read. So using it for the letters with a contrasting outline, or just using it as a border or accent would be my suggestion to the customer. The printed option would work better because you can get a muted appearance that is easier to use as a background.
Legibility is my concern also. I think I'll google some different ideas of diamond plate in action and see if anything catches his eye. I like the printed idea...I didn't think of that. Thank you!

Billct2

Here's a printed one I did using a fill that has an aged diamond plate look.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 172