• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Did I get a bad roll of media? Orajet 3751 RA

Doyle

Came in to the shop today to catch up on some printing, and the first roll of media I loaded up was a fresh roll of Orajet 3751 RA. Started printing to discover I was getting horrible print quality. After checking the file, cussing for a few minutes, cleaning the printer, checking all of the RIP settings 2-3 times, I was still getting the same quality. After running 6' of test prints on the material, I decided to put in a different media so I wasn't wasting my good stuff. Put in the 3164 matte material and suddenly everything looked great (there is a glare on this print in my photo, but print quality was just fine). Then I loaded up my 3651 gloss material which also printed just fine..... so I wondered if I was having some sort of intermittent issue that cleared itself up, so I loaded up the 3751 again and it still looks like garbage...

Printer - Roland Versacamm vp-540i
Rip - Versaworks
Profile - GCVP (Glossy calendered vinyl) generic profile in VW

Can I safely say that this is simply a problem with the media? Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 365

Flame

I'm getting the same thing. I cant' figure out a profile that will work on that 3751 stuff...kinda blowing my mind. It's nice to work with, but geez...would be nice to print on it. Would love to hear how people profile for it as I'm sure that's what it is

Doyle

I'm getting the same thing. I cant' figure out a profile that will work on that 3751 stuff...kinda blowing my mind. It's nice to work with, but geez...would be nice to print on it. Would love to hear how people profile for it as I'm sure that's what it is

Dammit, so this is how the stuff is SUPPOSED to print? We pretty much use Oracal materials exclusively, but this is my first roll of the 3751. I have always used 3951 and 3551 using the Roland GCVP profile with great success.... I guess I will start looking for a profile to use, and I probably won't get another roll of this stuff if this is what I can expect from it. Unfortunately, I have a 54" x 150' roll to burn up.

Letterbox Mike

We've had identical results lately with 3751ra. In fact we've sent several rolls back because of it. We tried both our GS6000 and our JV33 with no luck. I tried making a profile unsuccessfully, using Oracal's profiles (which are usually pretty good), and using both canned and our own profiles for about a dozen other medias with the exact same result.

Doyle

We've had identical results lately with 3751ra. In fact we've sent several rolls back because of it. We tried both our GS6000 and our JV33 with no luck. I tried making a profile unsuccessfully, using Oracal's profiles (which are usually pretty good), and using both canned and our own profiles for about a dozen other medias with the exact same result.

Thanks for the info. I have already tried several different profiles with this media since starting this thread earlier today and have had absolutely no luck with any of them, including Oracal's profiles for 3751ra and 3951ra, they look like total garbage. Hopefully Fellers will let me return this roll, as it is completely useless to me. I was really excited to try this material after all of the great things I have heard about it, and I was going to wrap our shop truck with it this month as well. I guess I will be going back to 3951ra.

Thanks for the replies Flame and Insignia, at least I know it is not only me having the issues....

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Great. We run a good bit of 3751RA and just got a new roll in yesterday that I was about to print a wrap on. Never had a bad roll of it before, lets hope today is not my day to get one.

Sign Works

GCVP is for calendered vinyl, 3751RA is not calendered vinyl, it is a cast vinyl, try a profile for cast vinyl. In Versaworks I use PGVP for 3751RA with excellent results, I also use the same profile for 3951. Versaworks also has other profiles for cast but I've never had a need to even try them, PGVP has always works great.

Doyle

GCVP is for calendered vinyl, 3751RA is not calendered vinyl, it is a cast vinyl, try a profile for cast vinyl. In Versaworks I use PGVP for 3751RA with excellent results, I also use the same profile for 3951. Versaworks also has other profiles for cast but I've never had a need to even try them, PGVP has always works great.

I understand what you are saying, I've used the GCVP profile for cast materials for years without a single issue. As I stated above I even used the official Oracal profile still yielding poor results. I will use the PGVP profile Monday and give it a shot, but I'm pretty skeptical at this point. Every single profile I have tried has yielded the same results as in the photo in my first post.

Thanks for the input!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yall' had me worried there for a few.... brand new roll from Fellers. Printing perfect as usual. Printing something like this makes me remember many years ago when we ran OEM ink using stock profiles. :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_3855.jpg
    IMG_3855.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 387

401Graphics

i just got a roll myself and im having the same issues. guess ill be returning it. i'm also disappointed with it, as its suppose to have a less initial tack than 3951. but i don't feel a difference. its just as aggressive.

pjfmeister

I print on the 3751 with a Mutoh 1624 using a Fellers Avery color profile....looks great
When I print on our 1614 I switch to an older Oracal 3651 profile and get great results

Doyle

I called Fellers this morning and the roll is getting exchanged for 3951ra. I have also sent photos to Oracal, I will post back their response to this. Thanks for all the replies!

strypguy

I'm printing with my SP300V on a new roll of 3751RA as we speak. Print looks great. I'm using the PCV2 profile. BTW, I use either the GCVP or PCV2 profiles for all of my different print media and have never needed a custom profile to get the results I desired. Maybe I'm just lucky....John

Jack Knight1979

I had the exact same problem about a month ago on this material. The prints have a leather texture to it. I exchanged it for another roll. Same problem. After that roll, I have had no further issues with the "leather" prints.

aaronmgd

Hi, we use this material with our Mutoh 1624, we downloaded profiles from Oracal's website. We get great results...

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Curious - what does this mean?

Just reminded me of way back before I realized the true benefits of creating our own profiles and used only canned profiles and OEM inks. Was near impossible to print super vivid oranges, reds, certain blues and greens, etc like I was printing for the Shock Top wrap above. We use aftermarket inks (Triangle) and I build all of our own profiles with an i1 colorimeter. The gamut of our profiles is quite a bit larger than stock canned profiles would allow for, plus the Triangle ink, while it does match OEM inks, does have a greater range as well and of course using our own profiles takes into account the environment our printer is in. Environment factors like average humidity play a pretty huge role in color and how well profiles can work. Stock profiles are optimized for some other places environment, not yours.

FatCat

Wanted to dig up this thread because I tried printing 3751 RA for the first time for an upcoming box truck wrap yesterday. I spent more than half a day, and wasted about 25' of the roll trying to find some type of profile that would work with my Mutoh 1604 before giving up. I downloaded the profile from Oracal and the one from Fellers and both printed like garbage. I tweaked heat settings, resolution, PF adjustment, pretty much everything I could think of... Everything I printed looks gritty/grainy (like Doyle's sample pics above) and I even had some artifacts like varicose veins (yes the human kind) printing through the media at one point. Not really sure if this is the norm, or I have a contaminated roll???

At this point I pretty much have to bail and go back to IJ-180...

Does anybody have a good profile for this stuff?