• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Difference between UV and Latex

brycesteiner

Hello,

I have a Mutoh printer VJ 1324. I'm looking to get a UV printer soon.

The Eco solvent prints beautiful images but on the wrong material it can scratch fairly easily if not laminated. If you have a 2 sided sign and the printed side is against vinyl (printed or unprinted) it can tear the ink off the printed one. I've had this happen even a week or two after it was printed. I still love the printer, I've just learned how to handle it better.

The other day I got in signs and a banner where the ink felt like it was laying on top the signs and almost like a leathery feel--even "oily" but it was completely dry. It had a strong odor too. On the eco solvent I have the ink takes on the appearance of the material - glossy or uncoated, more like printing. This seems to give it it's own appearance no matter the substrate.

The print wasn't as smooth or as high quality, but I paid for speed and quantity and I'm sure these are much more durable.

I'm assuming it was UV but I was wondering what people know who own the machines.
Can you tell me what I was looking at?

kanini

If it had strong odour it is most certainly UV (if it's not solvent but that smell/feel are you used to =). Latex has little to no smell at all. Of course the material can have some smell itself but in this case it's most certainly UV.

brycesteiner

Thanks for the replies. I thought that's what it was, but wasn't sure.

I will certainly keep the solvent around because the images are just beautiful on it. I can see where there is a time and place for both technologies. I would just like to eliminated a couple of steps and cost by printing directly to the board on yard signs and other stuff that really doesn't have to be perfect looking, just durable and quick, cutting out the cost and labor of the vinyl.

brycesteiner

If/when you start looking at UV printer samples you'll likely be impressed. They have come a LONG way - I remember looking at samples and getting jobs printed for us years back and the quality was crap and faded in 6 months. Now we can print photographic quality on our 4 color flatbed and side by side the prints look as good (if not better) than the prints of our 7 color Roland. We're running an Oce Arizona and we have been very happy with it but I would suggest looking at all the major manufacturers if you decide to get a flatbed.

That's good to hear. Are you using the Epson DX5 or DX7 head? The supplier I'm looking at says they recently upgraded their machines to DX7 heads and will discontinue the DX5 soon. I had no idea fading was an issue for UV. Is it now?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That's good to hear. Are you using the Epson DX5 or DX7 head? The supplier I'm looking at says they recently upgraded their machines to DX7 heads and will discontinue the DX5 soon. I had no idea fading was an issue for UV. Is it now?

I don't see the DX5 head going anywhere soon. They are still manufacturing the DX4 head and just recently in the past 2 years stopped manufacturing the DX3 heads. Plus the DX5 head is still being used in the VJ1204 and RJ-900X which are current model machines from Mutoh. I believe there is a commitment to support the current model of machines for a certain amount of years after they stop manufacturing them. Something like, 8 years or so.

brycesteiner

I'm sure Epson is still making them and will have to for years to come with how many machines are out there. I'm thinking he just meant their new machines just coming out are the ones they are switching over.